Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Stratford and Warwick Mops this week

#1 by mollymandysb , Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:23 pm

I can't believe twelve months have gone by and I am sending this again. Thursday (which is supposed to rain) and Friday ok is Stratford Mop with Warwick Mop on Saturday. Free to wander around these old fairs and have a candy floss or toffee apple or hot dog and coffee.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 01.05.2014 | Top

RE: Stratford and Warwick Mops this week

#2 by Deleted User , Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Had ignored the fairs but this summer my Grandkids come over and we ended up at the fair.Loved to watch them having fun.I kept my feet on the ground but saw it with fresh eyes.Bit hard on the pocket.

Last edited Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 am | Top

#3 by mollymandysb , Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:29 pm

I know what you mean. Went to Stratford Mop to day, lovely warm sunshine and must admit the prices were not too bad, 2.50 on the carousel and most of the kids rides were between £1 and £1,50. Caught the bus from Stratford up into Warwick and had a walk around St Mary's church. Been to Warwick many times but never into the church. It is so big, almost the size of a cathedral but has no cloisters. Tombs of Robert Dudley and his family in there, which go back to the 1600s and from my history books I know they were in with Elizabeth 1.

Warwick mop is next Saturday 20th and then the Runaway Mop at Stratford

I love this time of the year, so fresh and crisp.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

Last edited 10.13.2012 | Top

#4 by Brumlad , Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 pm

I lived in Warwick for just over 20 years before coming over to the States and always visited the Mop and the Runaway Mop.

Brumlad  
Brumlad
Date registered 06.02.2012

RE: stratford and warwick mops this week

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 am

Do They still have the mop at Kings Norton Green?

phil
Last edited Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 am | Top

#6 by mollymandysb , Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:59 pm

sorry phil for not seeing this and replying, have no idea about kings norton mop. alcester, stratfordford, warwick and winchcombe are the only ones i know. i think there are others.

the runaway is a bit on the small side but the main stratford mop is still the same as ever.

good memories.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Steph

I've just looked it up, and apparently after several attempts to revive the mop fair in off road places nearby in 1969 it returned to the Green on the service roads and alleys and was a success and has been opening on the first Monday of October every year since.

phil

#8 by The Mitz , Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:07 pm

In the late 60's and early 70's I was a regular mop goer at Stratford as I lived not too far away, but some will also remember back in those days that it was also a regular coming together of mods and rockers. On more than one occasion big groups of motorcyclists were turned back outside the town due to past "comings together" of different factions. They used to call themselves Hells Angels of course ...... these days it's less fractous, but the Bulldog Bash nearby seems to be the focus now ... you may remember a few years ago a biker being shot on the motorway by a passing car

The Mitz
Date registered 12.19.2013

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
WHAT'S ON IN BIRMINGHAM

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor