Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Local Councils

#16 by mikejee , Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:45 pm

I think Steph has hit it on the head when she says there are different types of "gypsies". when I was young there were a few true gipsies , but i don't think i ever saw them, and there are probably even fewer now. What we see nowadays is what (down south at least ) is what we called didkoys (only got the spelling right from wikipedia), which , originally at least, is what the true Romany gipsies apparently called half-Romany troublemakers.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#17 by mollymandysb , Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:29 am

Have not heard that word for ages, diddkoys (sounds like didi koys). perhaps the travellers living in the cities don't really follow their true heritage - here in the rural areas you still find travellers going around picking plums, apples and working on the land for farmers and then they move on to Hereford perhaps for the hops. Trouble is a lot of these jobs nowadays are done by foreign workers so the gypsies are losing out.

I'm not very good with my camera, can take pictures but not good at loading it on to computer, shame because as I've said before we have a group who live in the old style covered caravans tht are pulled by ponies and horses and they are seen around the town, caravans in a circle with the ponies grazing on the side of the road, roundabouts, no one complains but I think they have permission, they always leave the place clean and tidy. (I don't think they are true gypsies though, just fancy that sort of life) I know I would not want to.

I did digress a bit though because one of my main gripes is that people in these 'posh areas' would still be campaigning if it were a housing development. The population is growing and people still have to live somewhere. Say for instance if Solihull council wanted to build an over spill and use Meriden they would still be having a camp to protest. Again whenever I walk in the country they race around the country lanes in their four x fours without a care for anyone walking. I have had many an altercation with them. One very posh lady put her fingers up at me and swore. Again a lot of country villages the locals can't afford to buy houses in the place they grew up because rich people move in. I was brought up in the country.

steph
steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 02.07.2012 | Top

#18 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 am

Steph

If any group of people are well behaved and respect our local laws and by-laws then I don't care about their origins or ethnic history because as far as I am concerned I have no argument with them.

Yes I agree that some of the more posher (for want of a better word) areas complain and object for no other reason than they think it will bring the neighbourhood down. Solihull where I live is a perfect example of this attitude. Just recently there was an application to open a chippy on a local shopping parade. Of course everyone was up in arms against it, organising petitions and protests.

Happily they lost and the chippy duly opened, the annoying thing is it is packed every night by those who didn't want it.

Phil

phil

#19 by mollymandysb , Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 pm

I sometimes think we are a nation that likes to moan and are not happy if we have nothing to moan about.

From what I've heard some people in Birmingham are moaning that the new hi speed rail station (Curzon St) is too far to walk to. I pointed out that at the price it is going to cost to use the train you would be driven there either by company car, taxi or can afford to leave your own car there. Which ever part of the city centre you are in Snow Hill is a long walk from the Bull Ring and New Street vice a versa. However, do they still have the shuttle bus that runs between Snow Hill, New Street, Moor St, and Digbeth coach station.

Not everyone will be using the new train service. A lot of people do not know there are already four diff train journeys that get you to London. Chiltern from Snow Hill and Moor Street which goes into Marylebone, Virgin from New Street which goes into Euston, London Midland from New Street to Euston and I'm not sure which station this one goes from but it goes through Kidderminster so could be Snow Hill, it also goes through Evesham and goes to Paddington. Certainly at certain times you can go to London for £1 on the London Midland train from Birmingham.

I KNOW I AM GOING TO GET SOME OF YOU SAYING "WHY SHOULD WE WANT TO GO TO LONDON" and I know I was shouting but I was pre-empting the response.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#20 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Why go by train at all? when you can get the bus much cheaper, it's nearly as fast. The London Liner bus service is much more comfortable and at least you are sure of getting a seat.

Phil

phil
Last edited Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:50 am | Top

#21 by mikejee , Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Steph
Is the one you talk about through Evesham a single train now? You used to be able to go that way by changing at Worcester. I used it several times to get to Reading as it ran later than the cross country train, but the wait on Worcester station was very depressing at 11 at night or so

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#22 by mollymandysb , Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:34 am

Yes, it is the train that runs through Evesham. Worcester has two stations, both a bit dreary but most of these country stations are. i was up in north Wales over christmas and Wrexham station was so cold.

Phil I've been to London on the coach and it takes a lot longer than the train and not much cheaper.

My daughter lives in London and I had to go down there in a rush because she was taken ill. I paid £29 for a ticket to London on the Virgin train but it got me there in 1 and 1/4 hrs. I came back by coach and it cost me £13 but it took nearly three hours. The Chiltern line takes about 2 hrs and used to cost £15 return. As I said before you can go to London by London Midland from New Street, takes about 2 1/2 hrs but it can cost £1 at certain times, e.g. after 11.00.

Getting back to the main gripe - I see people in Leicestershire are protesting about homes being built - why do we not have a thread on this? - because they not gypsies. My view is perhaps these gypsies want a better life for their families and don't want to be put with the other scum bags. Just because you are a gypsy/traveller why do you have to go into a getto - that's not right. Without being naive it should be pointed out to these travellers abide by the rules, integrate with the village, pay your council tax and behave and there will be no problem, step out of line and you will be evicted - although it is their land.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#23 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:46 am

Steph

First of all I have to admit its been quite a while since I have been to London at all, the last time I went it was by the London liner coach firm that ran from Colmore row to Oxford St. It used to cost £11 return and took just over two hours if there were no hold ups.

The bus was coach fitted inside with semi reclining seats the was an on board film screen, toilets, and buffet bar where you could get lights snacks and hot drinks. It really was much better than the train.

Phil

phil

#24 by mollymandysb , Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:28 pm

phil

not been on that coach to london and dont know if it still runs, perhaps some one on here will know, sounds good. i used to catch the national express from digbeth coach station, it was a bit of a nightmare, very cramped and the toilet was always smelly.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#25 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Steph

In the past twenty years or so I have been twice to London on both occasions I used the London Liner Service and was more than satisfied with the service and performance. If it is still in operation today i haven't a clue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUa5LsbJAs

Phil

phil

#26 by mollymandysb , Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:21 pm

never knew it existed phil, will have to check it out. i know there is the mega bus but that is not really safe to catch. it is very cheap but goes practically all round the country first but you do get some undesirables on.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#27 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:44 am

idont think the London Liner exists anymore. There is National Express and Megabus for £1

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#28 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:42 am

Yes I have heard about this Megabus company. Has anyone ever tried it?

Phil

phil

#29 by mollymandysb , Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:27 am

my son and his friend tried the mega bus once to go to london and it was a nightmare. it does cost a pound but does not go direct it weaves up and down the country but the undesirables that get on there is quite frightening, they said there was a group of somalians on there that had big knives and were trying to intimidate other passengers, not very safe.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#30 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:03 pm

I just don't understand why all buses do not have an emergency button that contacts the local police wherever it may be at that time and lets them know that there are undesirables on the bus. If these Somalians were carrying knives then they were all committing arrestable offences.

Thanks for the heads up Steph, the roundabout route was enough to put me off, I don't think I will be giving the Megabus a try.

Phil

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Maybe its the psychiatrists that should be locked away

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor