Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Coleshill Street - Henry Holder

#16 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:11 am

Phil, There are a few references to this - I suppose the land that he would have given would have been at the end of his property at Pitmaston House, Moor Green Lane, Moseley. That's what I have always thought but would be interested if you come up with any old plans or maps that I haven't come across.

One reference is:- Wikapedia - 7acres given by Sir John in 1897 I don't know what it means that 5acres were acquired to straighten the River Rea ? what do you think - did he give that as well.
And:- Google - A Walk around Moseley Village and scroll down to Cannon Hill Park.

Phil - If I want to send the link, the way in which you have done here - what do I do, to send it to the Brummies Talking Site in the way that you have done. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 am

Lynn

To post a link to the forum, just right click on the address at the top of the page you are viewing, click on copy. Go to the page you want to copy it to, then right click on the position you want it to appear, then click on paste. It's as simple as that.

Phil

phil

#18 by mikejee , Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:07 am

I did a quick search in the Birmingham post for the 1890s to see if there was any further information on this. Nothing relevent turned up (in fact nothinga t all for 1897 and john holder) but , in passing a couple of items came up which might be of interest. the pantomime item might particularly amuse you

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 09.23.2012 | Top

#19 by mikejee , Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:11 am

The pantomime clipping is shown as being there on my screen, but doesn't seem to be accessible, so will try to post again

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#20 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:01 pm

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resource...ion_2/page8.htm

Phil, Am in anticapation that this is going to be the right page - Anyhow, if it is, it gives reference to Moor Green Cottage which is what was on the site before Holder's built Pitmaston. Called Pitmaston because his new wife was the daughter of John Williams Knipe of Worcester - the famous horticulturist of Pitmaston in Worcester were the Pimaston Apple etc came from - just a bit of information that I found interesting.

It would be good to find out more about Moor Green Cottage and what land there had been attached to that and if it would have gone as far as the boundry of Cannon Hill Park before John Charles moved there.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#21 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks Phil - Yes, as you say, very easy but only when you so kindly explained it so simply for me to follow. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#22 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Lynn

If you look at these two maps, you will see Moor Green Farm & Moorcroft Farm as separate entities to Pitmaston. I think that the land donated by John holder must have been the extra square area of land at the rear of the park where the river has been straightened out. There were also some allotments owned by Birmingham Council in that area when I was a lad and you can a couple of crater like features marked on the maps at the side rear of Pitmaston in the area of Moor Green Farm. This is an area we used to call Donkeys Hollow when we were kids.

Attached pictures:
phil

#23 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Phil, What sort of date would you put on these maps. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#24 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Yes Mike, The Pantomine one is good - someone had a good sense of humour but O! how true, that he gave to so many charities.
The other one about the Local Music Hall conversion I find most interesting.
May I ask you Mike, do you have a link for the site that you look up the Birmingham Post on when you do a quick search.
Many thanks for sending me those two.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#25 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Lynn

I'm sorry I didn't realise that the tags didn't show on the photos.The first one (on the left) is c1890 and the second one (on the right) is c1910, but Mike has warned me not to take dates given with these maps too seriously.

phil

#26 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks Phil, Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#27 by mikejee , Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Lyn
The Gales newspaper site was set up originally to allow academic access to a range of papers from the British library. This is now available for some library's members to access online also. This is where I got the references from. As far as I know you have to be an institution to gain access. With cutbacks, whether libraries will feel they can afford to carry on paying the subscription is a leading question. However there is now also another commercial site which has a much larger number of newspapers, which it is continually adding to. This is at http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk. You have to pay, but they have introduced a scheme whereby when you register you get 15 free credits. Unfortunately I registered early and it is not backdated. This has a much broader range. I am not sure whether it has all the papers the other archive has but it certainly has the Birm. Post up to 1900 and also the Birm journal & the Birmingham Gazette, neither of which are on the Gales site

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Last edited 09.25.2012 | Top

#28 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Mike,
Am glad to learn how the Gale site works and Yes I can use it throught the Library - on line - with my library card number. If your local library doesn't cover it find another library that does. You can be a member of as many libraries as you like.
The British Newspapers Archive I joined a little while ago and it's been worth every halfpenny.

You have got me looking at the Newspaper sites and I've just found were John Holder buys property in Cheltenham so another angle for me to look at.!
and so back to looking more at the Birmingham things that he was involved in.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#29 by Voltman , Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 am

I don't think this link has been posted on this forum before so I'll post it here.

Gaiety Music Hall

It provides quite a good history of the theatre.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#30 by Voltman , Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:00 am

And another, although Stirling Single is aware of this one.

Holders Grand Concert Rooms

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.12.2013 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Yardley

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor