Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: brummagem sayings

#16 by Sheldonboy , Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:01 pm

I did pick up on the Welsh bit, I was just keeping out of it. By the way when you have been to that bit on the West of England you can return to the Homeland. [Be British]

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#17 by mollymandysb , Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 pm

i suppose im what you call a 'plastic welsh person', altho i lived there and my parents were born there, i was born in cheshire. my paternal grandparents were born in shropshire, my maternal grandmother and all her family were cheshire, my maternal grand dad was bala so very welsh and could not speak english until he was 16.
as you know i v been doing fam history so some of the relatives came from france and some from german and some from kent and then denmark, so a real mongrel really.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

#18 by Sheldonboy , Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:19 pm

MollymandySB
With a pedigree like that Steph you should have called yourself Heinz [Silly Grin]

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#19 by mollymandysb , Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:15 pm

it gets worse, my welsh ancestors, started out as the jones, but you always took the christian name of your father as your surname, e.g. catherine humphreys was the daughter of humphrey owen etc. so in the 1851 census they were told (no doubt by the english!!) to keep to a surname, so my lot decided to become the edwards. it is a nightmare trying to research welsh fam history as they tried to confuse the english over lords by calling all the boys the same name and the girls likewise in one particular year etc.

the cheshire lot, going back from today to 1845 they are known as hooley, and the fam think they go way back as it is quite a well to do name in cheshire, but hey ho, 1845 thomas changed it from hulse to hooley, so i dont think we know who we are.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#20 by Sheldonboy , Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:23 am

Steph, I don't know about Hooley, knowing your family's political history, shouldn't it have been Hooligan.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Now heres me thinking a hooley was a party, only to be told that it's a Welsh member of Steph's family.

Phil

phil

#22 by Sheldonboy , Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:46 pm

In Steph's case Phil it probably would be, and she would be a card carrying member

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#23 by mollymandysb , Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:20 pm

morning all, yes a hooley is a party in ireland, but iv not found any irish ancestors, in fact, my gg g grandfather thomas hooley put on his marriage cert in 1845 that his dad was purported to be john hulse, and no records can be found of thomas being a hooley, but neither are there any records of a baptism in cheshire for thomas hulse (which is a german name). hand of my market, i shall be down there to collect my share of the takings.

i dont go to the german market too busy for me, like the quiet life, like smaller cities like hereford, lichfield, chester etc.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#24 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Molly I complain about the market every year, but in reality I have only ever seen it once and that was the first year when it was a very small affair in Victoria Square only. To be honest I think it is Birmingham Councils way of getting us to like the idea of the EU. Well I have got news for them "It's not working".

Phil

phil

#25 by mollymandysb , Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:06 pm

i v only seen the market once and it was quite small, wintry day, carousel up by the council house, smell of frankfurters and little bavarian chalet style stalls, looked very nice but the price of the goods and some of them not very pleasing. i understand it has got out of hand, allow yobs to drink and you get trouble.

redditch have a victoria fayre at the forge mill musuem this december only £1 and children free, never been. dont really like arty crafty things - its poundland/argos/primark for me, lol

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brummie's mealtimes

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor