Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Lozells

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:02 pm

SB

The only photos I can find at the moment are the opposite end of Berners Street to what you want, 107 was near the junction with Clifford St. The ones I have are nearer Lozells Rd. But I will continue searching.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:10 pm

Phil
You are a saint. I know I was pushing my luck but my wife came from Berners Street in 1955. She would just like to see what it was like. She is of course a naturalised Sheldongirl now and has been saved. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:52 pm

SB

As soon as I have collected together what I can I will post them all, but a photo of 107 might be pushing it, but we can but try.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 pm

SB

Here are a few photos of Berners Street, There is one of a meeting house near the top of the street near Lozells Rd. I have a story about that which I will relate sometime. I have lots of other photos of the Lozells area. I will open another album for them later so you can browse through them.

The other two are coloured photos of the end of the street that has gone now. I think this must be where your wife lived opposite the park. In fact on the one photo there is a dark blue Bedford lorry parked up. I think your wifes house (107) would have somewhere round there.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#6 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:47 pm

Phil many many thanks for your work on Berners Street, It's A lot of years since Jo left there but it's of great interest. Her older brother will greatly appreciate your pictures when I see him. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by astoness , Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:22 pm

not seen that first one before phil...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#8 by Sheldonboy , Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:23 pm

Nor Me Lyn

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Do you see that Mission Hall, years later we demolished that when it was a fire salvage warehouse that had caught fire. We were sent in after the fire to make it safe. We only had to bring it down to first floor level.

Fire damaged buildings are the worst sort of building you can work on. As it was so dangerous I was on site myself working. My uncle turned up on site to see how we were getting on. I was standing on a wall on the front of the building (a long time before Health & Safety) and another lad was standing on an adjoining wall. My uncle came up the stairs inside the building and was standing about 8 ft below me on the first floor.

There was a piece of wood sticking out from a door frame and he just kicked off so he wouldn't trip over it. The door frame just collapsed in with all the walls around it. Including the walls we were standing on. The other lad and I jumped to other parts of the building. As we jumped I saw my uncle disappear through the floor and all the walls fall in on him.

Of course we were stuck up high on the walls with no way of getting down, We couldn't see a thing because of the dust. When the dust settled we saw my uncle uncover himself from beneath the fallen bricks and stagger into the street. By the time one of the other lads had got us down with a ladder, he was sitting on a wall over the road having a cup of tea. Apart from a few minor scratches he was unharmed.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by Sheldonboy , Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:52 pm

That's when demolition guy's earned their corn Phil.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:12 pm

You know what annoyed us the most, all the fire salvage goods were still inside the warehouse and we didn't have time to get them out (well not officially) We just had to make the building safe by dropping all the high level walls into the building.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#12 by Sheldonboy , Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:20 pm

That's a pain, I'll bet that would have been worth a few bob.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I remember there were at least 20 rolls of carpet on racks, you know the type you see in carpet warehouses. There was also hundreds of gallons of paint in half pint, pint & quart tins. There was loads of stuff that we could have sold on.

But why worry we got a good price because as far as we were concerned there was nothing salvageable. So the company we did the job for had to pay a good price, but I suppose they got it back off the insurance company.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#14 by Voltman , Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 pm

There's surely some irony, or something like that, in the fact that the goods were fire salvage and then almost became fire salvage a second time.
I wouldn't have wanted anything from that lot, it was all jinxed.
VM

“If a man knows he will sooner or later be robbed upon a journey, he will have a bottle of the best in every inn and look upon all his extravagances as so much gained upon the thieves.”
Robert Louis Stevenson.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer] http://telsen.co.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Gosta Green

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor