Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

One for John

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 pm

John

I came across this while searching for photos, it is a photo of The Midland Aero Club flying over Birmingham in 1958 (or supposed to be). The trouble is with the gas works underneath them I would put money on the fact that they are over Nechells or Saltley. The problem is because of the date I can't tie it up with a location. I think its Windsor st Gasworks but there look far too many blocks of flats about for 1958.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:02 pm | Top

RE: One for John

#2 by Voltman , Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Sorry to jump in uninvited.
Phil, I have the same photo in a book entitled "Aviation in Birmingham" by Geoffrey Negus and Tommy Staddon.
The caption reads "Midland Aero Club Tiger Moths on a Sunday morning in 1958. G-ANLB, nearest camera, was damaged beyond repair at Southam, Warwickshire, 17th March 1962; G-AOEL was owned by W A Holland at Elmdon farm from 1959; G-AOHY was used as spares in 1960."

Should I look for more information in the book or do you have this book?
VM

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Volty

Thats the book, but I don't think you will find any more information on the photo. I think that the area underneath them is definitely Nechells Gas Works, but its the 1948 date that is confusing. I can see the offices in Windsor St leading up the Great Lister St and the maisonettes in on Henry St - Windsor St are complete. For 1958 that seems a bit early to me, there are even blocks of flats in Cromwell St johns old Street and I didn't think they were there that early. John will know as he is a little older than myself so he will remember more.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Phil, youcan't see Cromwell Street it's behind the top left plane, what I can say is that we were still lving in the street up until 1953, and were one of the last families to move due to my mother being so fussy about the places she was offered.
By that time the maisonettes across the street from us were just nearing roof level,that was halfway between Rocky Lane and Oliver Street.

signman

#5 by Voltman , Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Phil, I would accept that the date of the photo might be hearsay but the subsequent destruction of one aircraft and the dismantling of another are good indicators of the latest possible date for the photograph as these will be properly recorded.
VM

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#6 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Phil, ignore the first part of my last post got mixed up.
Where our house was is flattened,so it must have been after 1953.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:59 am

John

So in reality it could quite possibly be 1958 when this photo was taken. I would have been 11 years of age then, it's just that I don't remember the flats in Windsor St - Henry St being built then. I can remember them being built, but I thought it was later when I was in my teens.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Phil, I was 18 then, and living in Fosbrooke Road, never went back to the old end.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Rural Birmingham

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor