Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Morgans Sausage Meats or Butchers

#1 by mollymandysb , Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi

Does anyone know of a Morgan's sausagemeats shop/barrow or such or perhaps a butchers, in the Birmingham area or Basall Heath area, around about 1900 ?

Eighty year old neighbour mentioned it to me and have not been able to find anything about it.

Wonderful, what the older brummies can remember and come out with but they can't remember anything else.

molly

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 01.16.2014 | Top

RE: morgans sausagemeats or butchers

#2 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Phil should be able to remember that. [Little LOL]

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 04.10.2018 | Top

RE: Morgans sausagemeats or butchers

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Molly

The only Morgans Sausages I recall was a rather big concern who had premises in Digbeth they were still in operation until the late 50's when they closed. At that time the premises were converted to a curry house and a café.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#4 by mollymandysb , Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:36 pm

oh, thanks for that

well that is one mystery solved. apparenty, clara rowbotham's other half, although i dont think they got married, was reg morgan (wait for it, a master plumber) although he was related to the morgans sausagemeats.

will have to see what i can find out about these morgans and where they came from, i dont suppose any one knows any names or which part of the country they hailed from. i am on genesreunited and ancestry but not findmypast which i think was the only site to be able to research addresses

thanks anyway

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#5 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:38 pm

I know I am stating the obvious but Morgan is a Welsh name. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by Voltman , Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:05 am

Posted by Sheldonboy

Phil should be able to remember that. [Little LOL]

He must have knocked the smile off your face there SB.

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#7 by mollymandysb , Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:22 am

one would have thought so, but we have a steveneson whos is from wales.

just got quite excited when i saw the pictures of the sausage shop!! lol what a sad life i lead.

dont know if i am going over old ground but i am researching fam history for my elderly neighbour who nothing of her dad's family, only that he told her his mom (clara rowbotham) was a concert pianist and that he had to go into barnardos. well i v managed to track her down on the 1911 cenus with her son bng shown as a 'lodger' and then the fam right back to tewkesbury and hartpury around 1800. her cousin who is in her eighties said she knew of the family and that clara played the piano before king george v at buck palace cant find anything about that, but also that the reg morgan who appeared on her dad's birth cert was part of the morgan's sausagemeat. she had to think about it and just came out with it, they both said to me 'google it' which i did but nothing came up. so was very excited when phil (who must be a font of lots of knowledge) came up with the photo. I suppose they will be in the kellys directories just want to see where they were born and see if i can tie in with the family. no intention of seeking any relatives or part of the fortune.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:02 am

Steph

The 1950 entry in Kelly's lists Morgan John bacon curer at 110,111 & 112 Digbeth. I traced him back to 1902 and it was then The Birmingham Pork & Bacon Co at 110 & 112 Digbeth manager John Morgan.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by mikejee , Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:06 pm

But if you go to 1900, no 111 Digbeth is the Birmingham Pork & Bacon Co, Manager John Morgan, so originally he was the manager and then bought the company (that reminds me of an old shaver advertisement). He is ilsted as manager back to 1895, but in 1892 it is Phipps & Co, pork butcher

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 08.15.2011 | Top

#10 by mollymandysb , Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 pm

tx Mikeejee

i will have a go at tracing the roots through that and see where i get.

my elderly neightbour and her cousin are thrilled to bits.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:46 pm

SB & Volty

If I couldn't remember Morgans sausages there would be something wrong as my father was the main contractor when the building was converted to the Manzil Restaurant in the early 60's. I even worked on the job for a while myself. The owner asked me if I was interested in managing a disco that he intended to open over the intended café next door,

I turned him down flat after I saw the trouble my father had to get paid for the work he did. I think he had to take part of the restaurant in lieu of payment for a while.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#12 by Sheldonboy , Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Ah now you mention The Manzil, I know exactly where you mean Phil, blimey that place has been there forever..

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 pm

I remember Morgans Sausages, they were pretty good, but I remember the curries at the Manzil they were even better. I always got first class service. Kurashi the owner always came over and spoke to me whenever I used the place and served me personally and chastised the staff if I had to wait too long, it was great when I was with a new girlfriend.

Little did they know it was all show, as soon as he paid off the old man the first class service stopped. No thats not very fair he always looked after me when I went there. I suppose the old thief is dead now.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#14 by mollymandysb , Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:07 pm

I remember Manzills as well, used to go there in the late 60s and early 70s with my first hubby.

is the building still there to day?

molly

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#15 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Yes

Its still there as far as I know, and I think it is still called the Manzil. As I say I would think Kurashi would be dead and gone by now if not he would be in his late 80's. its probably being run by his sons now.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Printing Trade in Birmingham

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor