Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Wedding dress

#1 by mikejee , Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:04 am

Who in their right mind would go to see a wedding dress. Apart from that, with no head , in white, and all lit up it looked like a ghost. Maybe that is why the queen did not like it - she thought it was the ghost of Diana !

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

RE: Wedding dress

#2 by handlebar , Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:40 pm

My wife had a wedding dress in her charity shop window. This morning a girl bought it. Her boy friend hasn't even asked her to marry yet and she's too big to get in it but she said 'I shall diet till it fits'. A lot of folk still want a white wedding but as cheap as possible. Who can blame them!

handlebar  
handlebar
Date registered 06.01.2011

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:17 pm

What I think is most disgusting about weddings are the Church fees. It seems that if you want to practice your religion to day and be baptised, married and buried by the church then you need to be a rich man.

Jesus knew what he was saying about the rich man and the eye of the needle, because if the church has their way they will make sure you get into heaven by making you poor while you are here.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:31 pm

Posted by phil
What I think is most disgusting about weddings are the Church fees. It seems that if you want to practice your religion to day and be baptised, married and buried by the church then you need to be a rich man.

Jesus knew what he was saying about the rich man and the eye of the needle, because if the church has their way they will make sure you get into heaven by making you poor while you are here.

Phil

I do agree with what you say Phil and understand why you say it. Unfortunately as we all know churches are large buildings, as you will obviously know Churches as do most large buildings cost a fortune to maintain, and heat when required. Christian Churches are struggling these days.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy

I do agree with what you say Phil and understand why you say it. Unfortunately as we all know churches are large buildings, as you will obviously know Churches as do most large buildings cost a fortune to maintain, and heat when required. Christian Churches are struggling these days.

Well if churches are struggling then perhaps they can sell off some of the works of art that they own, or even some of the property. Between the C of E and the RC church they own most of the land in England that is not owned by royalty. Do they need all these works of art and land. Didn't JC throw the money changers out of the temple for making money out of the church?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Voltman , Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:15 am

Steady Phil, how can these 'churches' ever be rich and powerful again if they aren't starting from rich?

One thing is certain, they spare no expense in the upkeep of the church buildings where their power over the gullible is greatest.
I mean NO expense, nothing, zilch, nada.
VM

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 07.25.2011 | Top

#7 by Deleted User , Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:44 am

Can you imagine our landscape without these wonderful old buildings,many have been sold for home conversion and I think that is so sad.

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:54 am

I have no objections to the churches being well maintained and I would (and do) hate to see us loose them. Some churches are among the most beautiful buildings buildings we have in this country.

I just don't think we should have to pay, unless the church wants to hand them over to us to use as we see fit.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by handlebar , Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:48 pm

It isn't the buildings that matter it's what they stand for. Lose the buildings and the teachings also decline. And if you throw out Christianity and don't put something better in it's place where does that leave us? if respect, truthfulness, loyalty, honesty and love, all the things the Church stands for (and at it's best teaches for there are always exceptions) we are left with a falling away of what we built our nation on and a long slow decline into what may prove to be man's worst excesses e.g. greed, selfishness, immorality. If all I'm asked to contribute to the Church is the fees for my daughters wedding then it's not much in a lifetime considering all the benefits it has given and continues to give to society.

handlebar  
handlebar

#10 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:04 pm

The trouble is Dave, that the church doesn't stand for those values any more. If a poll was taken and only honest answers were given I think you might be surprised at how many clergy of all faiths don't believe in God.

In the 70's I had a mate who was a Methodist vicar, he didn't believe in God in the slightest. He did when he first started out, but said that all the horrors, misery and suffering he had seen throughout the years in doing his job had wiped away ant belief that he might have had.

I asked him "why he still did the job", his answer was this "its a good job, well paid with a house, also it's the only job I can do and it's what I trained and studied years to do". He added " at least I can do a little toward helping some of the unfortunate people in this world if I remain as a vicar". As much as I thought about it, I couldn't fault his logic. We lost touch over the years, I suppose he could be a bishop or whatever now.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#11 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:36 am

I was told years ago by someone in the Catholic Church that some see the Priesthood as a place of safety to hide in.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#12 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:09 am

I have no time for religion whatsoever,but I do believe the church offers solace and comfort to people in times of trouble and stress, me I'd rather go down the pub.

signman

#13 by Deleted User , Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:05 am

You can get some very good vicars and some pretty awful ones too.Some preach the word of God but once outside the building have not got a clue.The career ones are the worse.

I have known some very good vicars during my life,people prepared to work within the community.Others just talk the talk.

#14 by Voltman , Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:07 am

Putting religeon aside, if the old Saxon and Norman churches go then our British landscape will never be the same, worse still we will be left with the very noticeable mosques which simply don't fit in at all.

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 07.25.2011 | Top

#15 by handlebar , Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Went to Gravesend the other week and finding nowhere to park we went up a side street and, to our astonishment, came across a Sikh temple almost completed. We went to have a look inside. It was massive, richly adorned and totally out of place in England. I get a bit frightened for the English way of life when i see these towering monstrocities dwarfing all the surroundings. Am I old fashioned in wanting what I've known and felt at home with above diversity?

handlebar  
handlebar

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Amy Winehouse

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor