Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Lost Cinema's of Brum

#61 by Voltman , Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 pm

I was in the Sheldon every Saturday matinee for years.
Saw Batman and Tarzan and who knows what else.
Also saw "Funny Girl" there, which was probably my first proper film in a cinema, "Don't Rain on My Parade"
VM

“I am a man of simple tastes, only the best will do“
Oscar Wilde 16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#62 by xuanxanh99 , Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:35 am

hih, That's greater. But everyone can share links film here. I want watch it. Now, I am watching film: The Plan B 2010. That's film Korea. Bi Rain is main actor. Do you know Bi Rain?

Con Yêu Tất Cả Mọi Người Ở Đây - I love everyone here.

xuanxanh99
Date registered 09.30.2010

#63 by davidnic ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi. I used to be a projectionist at the Grove, Dudley Road, up until about 6 months before it closed. It was taken over by Asians and I remember having to show their films. The condition of the film was so bad, there were usually no leaders or ends on the actual reels, so it was very difficult to know if you've put on the reels in the right sequence!

Just before closing of the cinema, I think the Asians thought they could run it cheaply by employing their own staff, so one night everyone working there at the time were ushered into the foyer and told not to return to work the next day! I felt sorry for the manager who had worked there for over 30 years!...to have to hand in his keys just like that...no notice...nothing!

Funny antidote. We had so many complaints about rain coming in through the ceiling. I went up into the roof one day and to my surprise there were over a hundred buckets to catch the rain!

Towards the end, it was a flea pit...but what memories!

davidnic

#64 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi davidnic, nice of you to join us, some story. i never knew your cinema but I did visit the projection room at the ABC New st, sometime in the sixties. It was a real eye opener. SB

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#65 by Deleted User , Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi David,yes those were the days .Interesting story.30 years and told to go just like that,awful.

My kids used to go to a Flea pit on the Alum Rock Rd years ago,they were frisked to see they did not have sweets they had bought from outside.Can you imagine them doing that now Lol.

Last went to the pics to see Toy Story with the family and it was nice but nothing like the good old days.

#66 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi David

Let me add my welcome. The Grove not a cinema I ever used myself though I have frequented a few over the years, some good, some bad. The last time I was in a cinema must have been 30 years ago, I think the Blues Brothers was just on release. Its a shame but cinemas are very much a thing of the past these days and have to keep re-inventing themselves to stay alive. Multi screens, 3D, an whatever.

I hope you will enjoy yourself here, we are a small community but we are friendly.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:54 am | Top

#67 by mikejee , Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Denise
I'm a bit like Phil (but more handsome of course !) in that I haven't been to the cinema for over 2o years, so can't talk from experience. However I'm sure i saw a bit on TV about a year or so again about people at one of the big chains being told they couldn't bring in things to eat or drink, but had to pay over the odds for in-house rubbish.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#68 by mikejee , Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Sorry Davidnic, forgot to say welcome to the forum . I take it that is just your forum name and you are not from eastern europe.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#69 by jk1 ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi,
This is my first post on this site.I too have happy memories of the sheldon cinema in the 1960's 70's. Would love to see some photos of the front of the building.Can anyone oblige by posting some?

John

jk1

#70 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi John

Welcome to our little family, small in numbers but a wealth of content and knowledge. From what you say you obviously hail from Sheldon, we have other members that come from nearby who will probably have similar memories to share. In the meantime here are a couple of photos of the Sheldon Cinema. If you want anything else just ask.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#71 by Voltman , Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Hello jk1, welcome to our forum.
Pictures are a forte of our Phil, I was going to suggest he would oblige shorty but I see he just has.
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#72 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:14 pm

2nd photo taken about 1965 when the film Bunny Lake is Missing came out, starred Lawrence Olivier.

signman

#73 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Hey Volty

I'll have you know I have never obliged Shorty in my life, and what more he has never asked.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#74 by Voltman , Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Oops.

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#75 by Sheldonboy , Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Posted by signman
2nd photo taken about 1965 when the film Bunny Lake is Missing came out, starred Lawrence Olivier.

I saw Bunny Lake is missing, a superb Drama in Black and White. It was a masterpiece of suspense. Still maybe the best film I ever saw. It was at the West End.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Gaiety Music Hall & Cinema

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor