Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Devon cream teas-what do you think

#1 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 31, 2011 5:27 am

Devon cream teas are the latest British foodstuff to seek EU protected status. But do the UK's traditional dishes really need looking after?

Honest, simple and unpretentious. Such is the reputation of British cuisine.

Cornish pasties, Cumberland sausages, Melton Mowbray pies - moreish though all might be, none exactly conjure up images of Michelin-starred dining and culinary sophistication.

But all, regardless, have been granted the same gastronomic distinction as Champagne, Parma ham and Kalamata olives.

They are among a growing list of British staples that have been given protected geographical status by the European Union, offering a legal guarantee against imitators.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Devon cream teas-what do you think

#2 by Voltman , Tue May 31, 2011 11:29 am

What about Cheddar then?
Cheddaring is a process so the name is universal. I don't get confused by the vast array of cheddars I just buy the ones I like.
Not all Cumberland sausage comes from Cumberland, butchers round here make their own. It's a style not a local delicacy.
Sounds like some EU department is just creating work for itself.

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 05.31.2011 | Top

#3 by mikejee , Tue May 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Traditional Cumberland sausages are protected now, though I think it is quite recent. It is only protected if you have the "Traditional " bit. i think it is very reasonable if the procedure is used to maintain a quality product.. The Melton Mowbray Pie is a good example of why there should be protection for good products. Before it was protected there was all sorts of c... with the name on it . Some had started as being a good quality product , but "cost cutting" had made the firms devalue it to something that would be better served to pigs than humans. I can see why people just outside the area might be a bit miffed that they can't call their product by a name, but , to me, it is the required standards of production that are important. One big problem is that the application is put in by a group of people , or a firm, and they specify what they want, and soemtimes there is nothing really special about the product . there must be hundreds of olive oils and wines registered, and many are really nothing special . (If any Italians ever read this it will probably increase the number of posts on the forum considerably). another problem, an done I feel is particularly wrong, is thta the people aplying for the application can ask form it to be revoked kif it so suits them. This occurred wioth Newcastle ~Brown Ale. It got protected status, and to be fir , i think it did have particularly unique characteristics, but when the breing empire that had taken over Scottish & Newcastle breweries wnated to close the brewery and make it elsewhere, they were able to ask for the listing to be revoked.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#4 by mikejee , Tue May 31, 2011 12:37 pm

As a PS, I don't think there is anything special about Devon Cream Teas

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Myself I don't think the name of a place makes any difference to a product it just makes old established brands instantly recognisable. Surely if you have traded as Newcastle Brown Ale or Leicester Cheese since the year dot then if you have registered the trade name it doesn't matter where you make it?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2011 2:33 pm

Mike, which pub had you just fallen out of, ha ha, only joking mate, agree with every word you say.
Cornish pasties, Bakewell tarts, Kendal mint cake, Melton Mowbray pork pies,Eccles cakes, etc., etc., have all been bastardised by the big companies trying to cash in on a unique product that has stood the test of time.............

signman

#7 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Devon cream teas, a load of b****s , just buy a packet of scones, a jar of srawberry or blackcurrant jam, a carton of cream, make a pot of tea and viola, there's your Devon cream tea, at half the price and double the quantity.

signman

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2011 2:52 pm

John

As you say, it never ceases to amaze me when down in devon the prices they charge for a cream tea. Whats more the fools queue up for it, its a good job I don't like cream or jam but I don't mind a scone now and again as long as its fresh.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue May 31, 2011 3:24 pm

I don't do shop pizza, but make my own, just to get you lot jealous, here's one I've just made, not quite your Devon cream tea, but give me this anytime, followed by homemade chocolate brownies, with a hint on JD.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#10 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 31, 2011 6:00 pm

I'de like to see em do it with Mars Bars

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 31, 2011 6:02 pm

I'de like to see em do it with Mars Bars

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by Deleted User , Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Love a cream tea but you can't beat Dorset apple cake.

#13 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Is that a cake made in Dorset, or from Apples made in Dorset.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#14 by Deleted User , Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dorset/content/arti...e_feature.shtml

We always look foward to the cake when in Dorset.

#15 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Sounds Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreatttttttttttttttt

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
OH NO

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor