Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Was anyone driving to London today

#1 by Sheldonboy , Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:04 am

Closed M1 'may not reopen fully before Monday'

The Highways Agency said it hoped to reopen the M1 by 0500 BST on Monday
M1 lane reopens after major fire
M1 closure affecting sports fans
M1 to remain closed into weekend
Parts of the fire-damaged M1 into London may now not reopen fully until Monday, the Highways Agency has said.

The seven-mile stretch of road between junctions one and four was closed both ways after a scrapyard fire on Friday.

One lane of the northbound motorway was reopened on Saturday evening. Officials said the southbound section would stay shut "until it is safe to be reopened".

The closure comes as thousands of fans head to the capital for the London Marathon and a FA Cup semi-final.

The fire, at a scrapyard under the M1, also caused some nearby railway lines to be suspended.

A Highways Agency spokesman said urgent repairs were needed before the motorway could be fully reopened.

He said officials hoped to have the road open again by 0500 BST on Monday.

The spokesman added: "The viaduct does need to be reinforced before it can carry the weight of traffic and we are putting in supports so we can reopen the road as soon as possible.

"At the same time we are continuing our investigations to determine what remedial work needs to be carried out."

Thousands expected
On Saturday, the motorway closure led to delays on the A1, A40 and A406 as motorists took alternative routes, AA Roadwatch said.

The closure coincided with one of the biggest weekends in London's sporting calendar.

About 36,000 runners are expected to take part in the marathon later, with thousands of supporters due to line the route of the race.

Thousands of fans are also expected at the 90,000-capacity Wembley Stadium for the FA Cup semi-final between Bolton Wanderers and Stoke City.

About 40 firefighters were called to tackle the blaze, which broke out at a scrapyard site close to Scratchwood Services and Ellesmere Avenue in Mill Hill early on Friday.

A number of gas cylinders were involved and a hazard zone was set up in case they exploded.

About 50 people living in properties near the scrapyard were temporarily move

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

The London marathon

#2 by Sheldonboy , Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:13 am

Thousands of runners prepared for 2011 London Marathon

A man running backwards and a woman knitting a world-record scarf will be among the 36,500 entrants in this year's London Marathon later.

The 26.2-mile event from Blackheath to Buckingham Palace starts at 0900 BST when the leading women runners set off.

Pc David Rathband, who was blinded by gunman Raoul Moat, will take part.

As will Olympic rowing champion James Cracknell, former Manchester United footballer Dwight Yorke, and models Agyness Deyn and Elen Rivas.

Once the elite women have started, the wheelchair race gets under way at 0920 BST followed by the top men and fun runners at 0945 BST.

'Training falls'
Pc Rathband will be raising money for his charity which supports emergency services personnel who have been injured by criminals in the line of duty.

Deyn, who is also an actress and singer, is hoping to finish the course inside four hours.

"You can do anything that you put your mind to. I feel that's the thing I've discovered doing this and that can seep into everything in your life," she said.

Dublin-born Karl Twomey, 37, who will be running backwards, will be among more than 100 people hoping to break marathon records of one kind or another.

He said: "It's not so much neck ache, it's more landing on my butt. I've had a few falls in training. Obstacles are the problem.

"I was veering in the wrong direction into poles, bins - you name it, I've hit it."

British hopes
BBC weather forecaster Alex Deakin said there could be fresh conditions for the start of the marathon.

But he said the later finishers in the afternoon might feel the heat, with temperatures of about 19C (66F).

At the head of the field Tsegaye Kebede and Liliya Shobukhova will be back to defend their men's and women's titles respectively.

British hopes are likely to rest with Liz Yelling in the women's and Andrew Lemoncello in the men's.

Organisers have added seven Japanese athletes after what was supposed to be their final trial for the world championships - the Nagoya Marathon - was cancelled because of the earthquake and tsunami.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: The London marathon

#3 by Deleted User , Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:53 pm

I always admire these people.A real test of the body.Not for me but well done to all who took part.

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
No Charity at this Church

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor