Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Museum Charges

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:30 pm

I see for the first time in about ten years the museum department is going to start charging to visit places like Aston Hall & Sarehole Mill. This will raise a miserly £250,000 per year. Well I suppose Mike Whitby has got to get his expenses money from somewhere. That'll be a few more nights at the Hyatt then Mike.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Museum Charges

#2 by Sheldonboy , Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:39 am

Phil charging will drop admissions. They can then close them through lack of use.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:01 pm

SB

Knowing Birmingham Council this is probably the plan, the last time they put admission charges on these places visitor numbers dropped to hardly none, That is exactly why they removed them in the first place. This is paltry because £250,000 is nothing in the scheme of things. But if the upkeep and wages bills go for these places then we are talking about a substantial saving and there is always the possibility of selling them off.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Deleted User , Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:45 pm

The small museum where I volunteer charges between £2 and £3 and it is great value.

With our grants cut we struggle.If it was without the volunteers it would not survive.we must protect the culture of our country.

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:42 am

Denise,

Yes but is that an independent museum, or is it owned by the Council?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Deleted User , Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:57 pm

independent Phil.

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Denise

Then that is fine, it really gets me going when I see some of the things that receive millions of pounds a year funding from the Arts Council & the National Lottery. You can bet they won't be making any cuts to the opera and ballet in the cut backs.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by mikejee , Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 pm

I think they have cut some opera & ballet by 10% Phil. Trouble is it should be a 100% cut

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:28 am

Mike

I haven't seen the latest Arts Council grants (we are talking about the aren't we?). I don't suppose they are worried because the shortfall will more than likely be made up by the Lottery.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Al-Qaeda in Libya

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor