Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Race Horses At Newbury Die Mysteriously

#1 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Racing at Newbury was abandoned in extraordinary circumstances after Fenix Two and Marching Song collapsed and died in the parade ring before the first race.

An inquiry and immediate post-mortems were announced, with the reasons for the deaths unknown amid speculation the horses died from some form of electric shock emanating from underneath the paddock.

Some horses had already made it down to the start and there were reports that others had "wobbled" on entering the paddock.

Despite running the first race, a decision was taking to call the rest of the big meeting off.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.11.2018 | Top

RE: Race horses die

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:41 pm

All sounds a bit X files to me.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:43 pm

From what I read on another site. Horses are are very sensitive. Maybe Volty can enlighten us.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by Deleted User , Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Poor horses

#5 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Yep sad shame Den nobody could have predicted that.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Don't wait too long for enlightenment I think Volty is back up on St Edburgha's roof again after the lead.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#7 by berniew , Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Animals in general are vunerable to electric shock anything over 50 volts can prove fatal to them

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

#8 by mikejee , Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:12 pm

There are some people with strange ideas round Newbury (for those who have not had the misfortune to visit , it is near me). For example the garages (from my one experience of their garages) think you don't have to put oil in a gearbox after repairing it. So maybe they thought a touch of electricity would speed the horses up

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:57 am

Hey mike,

They have a few garages like that around here as well.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by Deleted User , Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 am

The owner was on the radio last night he seems to think it was electric not heard todays news yet.

#11 by Voltman , Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 am

I know nothing of horses, and I haven't seen any new coverage of this yet, but I do know that to get an electric shock off the gound there has to be a current path across the ground. Anything that touches the ground in more than one place whilst standing in this path will provide an alternate path or paths for current flow and will have a voltage across it. The lower the resistance of these alternate paths then the greater the current and voltage across this path.
So in theory a Horse could provide a number a different current paths. The voltage across the horse would depend on the source voltage and the length of the current path that this voltage is distributed across.
i.e. If you drop 100 volts across 100 yards, then a person standing with their feet 1 yard apart anywhere along the path will drop a maximum of 1 volt across their body.
Or a more realistic example, If you drop 33,000 volts across 100 yards, then a person standing with their feet 1 yard apart anywhere along the path will drop a maximum of 330 volts across their body, assuming barefeet on wet gress this would kill the person so they would be better advised to take very very small steps.

Against this being the cause of injury to the horses are my following thoughts,
The horses would show signs of involuntary muscle spasms.
People in the same place would also be be at risk and may have felt something, from the horse if not from the ground.
The current path is being earthed by the ground all along it's length thus further reducing the available voltage.
Any cable that runs underground could reasonably be expected to be steel wired armoured. If one of these cables suffered damage, such that a voltage leak could occur, then it would be conducted away by the excellent earth path provided by the steel wire. It would take a number of other faults to prevent this from happening.

I'm probably wrong but I can't see it being electric shock.
My guess is poisoning, gas inhalation or co-incidence.

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:50 pm

It was two racehorses and you can read about it here,

http://www.people.co.uk/news/uk-world-ne...02039-22919298/

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#13 by berniew , Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:55 pm

It does appear a strange fault Volty but if an earthrods resistance increases then the leakage Voltage also increases . There was originally a formula not to excede 50v but , depending on the tripping current of the RCD if it was 30ma as opposed to the s tandard 100ma then the resistance was accepable at over 1000 ohms , 30ma RCDs as a main trip are prone to nuisence tripping and if they have been changed without being properly tested or the ground conditions changed the reading and the voltage could easily excede 50v . The regs were ammended about 8 years ago so that the maximum resistance should be less than 200ohms whatever type of RCD is used
Bernie

berniew  
berniew

#14 by berniew , Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:58 pm

I would not like to have signed the last inspection report on the paddock there
Bernie

berniew  
berniew

#15 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Posted by berniew
It does appear a strange fault Volty but if an earthrods resistance increases then the leakage Voltage also increases . There was originally a formula not to excede 50v but , depending on the tripping current of the RCD if it was 30ma as opposed to the s tandard 100ma then the resistance was accepable at over 1000 ohms , 30ma RCDs as a main trip are prone to nuisence tripping and if they have been changed without being properly tested or the ground conditions changed the reading and the voltage could easily excede 50v . The regs were ammended about 8 years ago so that the maximum resistance should be less than 200ohms whatever type of RCD is used
Bernie

Again in English please

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
How desperate have you got to be.?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor