Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

When I met someone famous

#1 by Deleted User , Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Tell us the story even if you only got close up LOL

I have always adored Nigel Havers,I was having a coffee in the Rep Bar once and saw him walking backwards and forwards outside talking into his mobile.

I would have loved to have gone and spoken to him but did not want to look too adoring so just watched him LOL.

RE: When I met someone famous

#2 by Sheldonboy , Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:10 pm

When I worked at the Albany Hotel in 1971. I saw Joe Frazier, he was there with his band the Knockouts. I served one of his girls to a Coke with Ice and the other to two straws. SB

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:19 am

Denise, you asked for it, The Queen,Johnny Cash,Dolly Parton, Faron Young Carl Perkins,Charley Pride, Billy Eckstine, Sarah Vaughan,Stella Parton,Dennis Lotus, how many more do you want, oh I forgot one,- LYN.

signman

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Never met anybody that you might call famous, I've met a few well known people, I can't say we were introduced or I shook hands with them all but I did chat with them. Most of them were practically unknowns at the time. People that I can remember meeting at the Blue Boar Watford Gap and outside the theatrical boarding house on Moseley Rd next to the library were Cliff Richards, Joe Brown (nice man) Marty Wilde, Wee Willie Harris, Jess Conrad (big head) and others I can't recall at the moment.

I met and shook hands with Mike Reid (the comedian and actor) one night when he was drinking at a bar in a nightclub. I met Lance Percival at the peak of his career on Corporation St standing outside C & A 's. I also said hello to David Jason (Delboy) on Solihull High Street recently.

I was never one for hanging around after concerts and whatever to collect autographs. I wish that I had now, when I see how much they can fetch. I saw most of the greats at one time or other in the 60's.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by Deleted User , Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:03 pm

So many famous people.

Jim recently had a chat with Frank Skinner,he was in town after just being made President of The Dr Johnson Society.

#6 by Sheldonboy , Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm

I spent an evening with Carl Chinn. it was at a birthday party on the evening of the Longbridge march. He was a very nice guy to meet and chat with and made us very welcome in his company.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:24 am

I've been to a few party's where Carl Chinn was present, before and after he was well known. I think I even went to his wedding, it was either his or his brothers. My memory of those times are not too good. My best mates sister is married into the Chinn family and as he is my wifes cousin I suppose Carl Chinn is a relation. Sorry I've always thought of him as a pretentious twit, how the hell did he get an accent like that. He certainly never spoke that way as a lad according to my mate Alf, when he went to Moseley Grammar he spoke quite posh.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by Deleted User , Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 pm

I did fill up of petrol alongside him once in Moseley.

He gets on my nerves to be honest.........he is about 55 and to here him talk you would think he lived a hundred years ago.

Me mum adores him.........

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Denise

Thats it a lot of people think thats who he is, but its not its just a persona he has invented. He says he talking in that dreadful accent because he doesn't want the Birmingham accent to be lost, but its more Black Country than Birmingham. He really ought to shape up and present a more ideal image for Birmingham. I mean, I'm no snob but I have never spoken like that in my life and neither of any of my generation of family. Certainly I can't ever say I have ever heard any of Carl Chinns family speaking in the manner he does.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by Sheldonboy , Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:03 pm

I can only speak as I found the bloke, You are entitled to your opinion of course. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by Deleted User , Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Fair do's to him SB he did show interest in the Longbridge problem.

#12 by Sheldonboy , Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Posted by denise
Fair do's to him SB he did show interest in the Longbridge problem.

He did Den he put a lot of work into that March and Demonstration.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Though I have met him a couple of times I doubt he would even know me if he saw me. He might remember me as the bloke who brought two bottles of scotch to his wedding even though all the drink was provided.

When I was asked why I had brought it I said because I was a big drinker and I didn't want people thinking I only drank what I did because it was free.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#14 by Voltman , Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:44 am

I didn't speak to him but I was stood next to Carl Chinn at the local history book display at WH Smiths at the Fort shopping centre.
He was putting all his own books straight and tidy.

I met Shaw Taylor in the lift at Kenilworth Police Station and Dennis Taylor at the Chestnut Tree.

Her next door has met the Queen, we're still waiting on Her Majesty to come round for tea.
VM

“I am a man of simple tastes, only the best will do“
Oscar Wilde 16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 11.21.2010 | Top

#15 by Sheldonboy , Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Posted by Voltman
I didn't speak to him but I was stood next to Carl Chinn at the local history book display at WH Smiths at the Fort shopping centre.
He was putting all his own books straight and tidy.

I met Shaw Taylor in the lift at Kenilworth Police Station and Dennis Taylor at the Chestnut Tree.

Her next door has met the Queen, we're still waiting on Her Majesty to come round for tea.
VM

Blimey Volty I thought her next door was the Queen....[Big Laugh][Laugh Out Loud]

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Foggy Day

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor