Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Bone Yard

#1 by paul , Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:44 pm

because brum over the years has found a need to pull down and rebuild and some bone yards(grave yards) have been move i wonder if any one knows what or where they replanted the bones what bone yards have gone and where is the oldest bone yard in brum

paul  
paul
Date registered 12.31.2009

Last edited 03.28.2016 | Top

RE: bone yard

#2 by Deleted User , Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:50 pm

I know they found several bones in st martins in the bull ring.

Not sure what they did with them.

#3 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:22 pm

I do know that human bones were found outside St. Phillips Church yard. Beween the Churchyard and Rackhams. this is because part of the Churchyard border was moved inwards. The remains were re buried as another funeral by Church people. I would imagine this is common practice. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Paul

I've always thought that Key Hill Cemetery in Hockley was Birmingham's oldest public cemetery. I'm sure there are loads more older churchyard cemeteries about. I think that the site of St Martins would probably lay claim to this dating back to I think the 13th century.

I have to be honest I don't know where they transferred the burials to on this latest but I think there has been at least one previous occasion when some where moved. I'll try to find out more.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by mikejee , Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Wasn't there something on tv a few (like 10 or so) years ago where it showed digging at the edge of St Phi;;ips (it might have been timeteam) ?i can't remember if they found any bones
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#6 by Deleted User , Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't know about st Phillips Mike.

I have a book about when they rebuilt the bullring and I think some info is in that,think phil has the same book,will check it out

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Mike

I remember recently reading a book about the recent and earlier re interments. I have just been looking for it, but I can't seem to find it. Which leads me to believe I might have borrowed it or it might even have been a library book. I'll have to see what I can find out about it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by paul , Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:06 pm

old bone yards me thinks that if you think about it brums been a place to live and work for a long time it may not be as old has london but it goes back a far old way and even in them days folk past on not to far from me at alvechurch there is a lane that runs out in to the wilds but down there is big pit that they dumped bodies from the plague black death or small pox from brum so me thinks there has got to be old bone yard in brum at least 900 years old

paul  
paul
Date registered 12.31.2009

#9 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:30 am

Yardley Parish Church, Is I believe dating back to the 13th Century in it's present form. It was said to have been there when Columbus discovered America. There is a good website on it may give more clues. This Church is a beautiful Building and is well worth a visit. Just around the corner (5 mins walk) is Blakesley hall museum. A fine old house with tea rooms. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#10 by mikejee , Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:32 pm

the book on the St martins excavations states that the remains that could be identified were buried at a service in May 2003 in a vault at St martins. those that could not be identified were buried at Quinton cemetery
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#11 by colin walker , Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:12 pm

I also think sorehole mill and area is very old . When Tolkein wrote his stories he had bsed that on sarehole and local ares thats why they called it middle earth. I read all this info whilst trying to find old grave stones of brum.
colin

colin walker  
colin walker
Date registered 02.06.2010

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Colin

I suppose you have checked out the old gravestones next to your old school. Laid flat on the ground in what was once the graveyard of St James the Lesser in Barrack St?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#13 by colin walker , Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:38 pm

phil
I havnt checked them for years.
In devon street next to the old devon street school can you remember the big tin roofed buildings. They were derelict in the 1960s but i went into them to play when i was little and they still had loads of those metal beds . But to this day i have never found out what they were built for .
colin

colin walker  
colin walker

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Colin

If you are talking about St Annes School in Devon St. Originally Duddeston House owned by the Galton Family. When they moved out it became a lunatic asylum before it was a school. Perhaps these beds were left over from then, perhaps even troops were billetted there during the war.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#15 by colin walker , Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi phil yes it was the school but in 1964 it was called devon st primary school and the assembly hall was at the side of the school not attached. Further up the hill past the assembly hall was were all the barracks were .you couldnt see them fro the street.
colin

colin walker  
colin walker

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brilliant Animation

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor