Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

I am so cross

#1 by Deleted User , Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:08 pm

I am spitting feathers.

My Allotment forum

Last year I had the idea of a collection for a charity associated with gardening as a forum Christmas gift.It went down well and a charity called thrive receaved £200 from our members.

This year three charities were mentioned so it went for a vote between the three.

A carity called gardening leave was the clear winner.

The thread has been set up and people already donating but suddenly the person who suggested another charity...this one only got five votes by the way has set up an Alternative christmas gift thread to this charity.

I have reported this to the mod but not sure they have broken any rules...she won't be in till tonight I know so will have to wait and see what happens.

I feel so mad that people can have such a mean minded attitude.

RE: I am so cross

#2 by Deleted User , Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Well I am in a much better mood now,just looked at our Just Giving thread and we have raised £90 so far..So thrilled.

#3 by Deleted User , Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:44 pm

This is the charity we voted for.

It is for ex service men and women.

http://www.gardeningleave.org/

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Denise

Charities and giving to charity can be so complicated. I will be honest and say I dislike giving cash amounts to any charity, though I have done so often in the past. I always make a point of trying to go through their published yearly accounts. To be quite honest what I see very often sickens me when I see what the top few in each charity are being paid and what expenses they claim.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by Deleted User , Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Well this is quite a smal charity Phil and it's work is for all to see.

I agree that many are not good.

#6 by mikejee , Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Although I do have direct debits to two charities for small amounts, I''m afraid i can see why Phil is doubtful. That the school that produced David Cameron is rated as a charity and receives tax exemption is disgusting, and the salaries of professional charity organizers is as bad. No-one should make a lifetime profession of living off of charities. Too many professional organizers use it as an advancement to their career. The example that comes to my mind was SCOPE, a very worthwhile charity originally, but it was taken over by "professionals" , who decided that the homes that the society provided for handicapped people should be shut, and all the money devoted to "campaigning" (ie providing more jobs and better salaries for the parasites that had taken it over). This is certainly not true of all charities, and the one you mention,, Denise, i would think would definitely not fall in that category, but there is a lot of dross out there that should be cut.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Denise

I was not suggesting there was anything irregular about your named charity, but as Mike says many are just an excuse for provision of just good paid jobs for the boys.

I remember reading about a charity function that some minor royal attended. The charity did quite well at the function raising a figure of something like £10,000. When they had finished paying the minor Royal's expenses they were actually £50 out of pocket.

Another thing I remember back in the days when I used to watch television. I watched the Duke of Westminster (At the time the 2nd richest person in England) he was up on a rostrum somewhere trying to get people to donate a total of £1 million for some charity or other. The interviewer asked him "Sir, with all the money you have could you not donate this amount. You would not even miss such a trifling amount" He looked very annoyed and said "we are not here to discuss my money", and he turned his back on the interviewer.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:55 am

Denise I have had the same problem with the Waggon Christmas card.
It was meant to be for cancer research, but now I have had people asking me to put them on the card and they don't want so and so on the card- result- I 've scrapped it.
People are so petty and vain at times.

signman

#9 by Voltman , Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:47 am

Robins and Santa, Signman,
Always a safe bet.
VM

Un solo idioma nunca es suficiente
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#10 by Voltman , Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:57 am

One of my inlaws has an inlaw relative who I met a few years ago. I didn't take to him at all but we had a conversation of sorts.

He didn't say much about his charity work but I was told he was a charity director. This put him very low in my estimation so I decided to check him out and find out which charity he "worked" for.
Well, he wasn't difficult to find using Google, he has his own website where he advertises his services to charity, for a very large percentage of the income he sends out teams of thugs to doorstep people and attack them in the streets demading money. I know that they don't sell it that way but that is effectively what they do and I have since discovered that this is a well known, much hated, ploy by some charities.
So now how low is the bloodsucking parasite in my estimation? Well below zero, which is the temperature of the reception he can expect if he ever appears in my presence again.
VM

Un solo idioma nunca es suficiente
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 10.14.2010 | Top

#11 by Deleted User , Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 am

Yes I agree that people should not get involved in charaties for paid work,only essential stuff.

Also sometimes essential skills are needed.

I suppose my main gripe was that people can come onto a forum and try to destroy what the membership has set up by democratic vote.It worked like clockwork last year.

Anyway the good news is that the members have so far ignored his post and we are up to £130.It will slow down a bit now but the appeal is open till Christmas.

Also the mod has not taken his post down which I am more than a little annoyed about.she is the sort of mod that does not want to rock boats so I am not surprised really.She is a bit wet lettuce.

Luckily being an Allotment forum we only get the odd nutter.

John I would carry on with your card but not personalise it in any way.......maybe just the building. ??

#12 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:30 am

Denise I would get replies like-" I can take my own photo".
All the people that are complaining are our elderly customers, and they talk about the youth of today !

signman

#13 by mikejee , Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:57 am

Denise
I'm surprised you would get any nutters on an allotment forum as hazelnut trees take longer to grow than most people keep allotments . Sorry about that-couldn't resist.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#14 by Deleted User , Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:55 am

You would be amazed Mike.....one bloke keeps coming on telling other members that the way they grow stuff is wrong and he has the best way bla bla bla...he keeps changing his name but is well known on most of the Horticultral forums.....he is an evl minded person..very nasty.

Luckily not too many like him.

#15 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:57 am

Denise

They are everywhere though aren't they, So far we have been lucky on here.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Any Metal Detectorists On The Forum.....?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor