Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Parliament Square Peace Camp.

#1 by Sheldonboy , Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:25 am

What do you think, who is right here.

Bailiffs move in on Peace Camp
Jul 20 2010
Bailiffs have moved in to evict peace protesters camping in London's Parliament Square Gardens, police said.
Demonstrators in the makeshift camp known as Democracy Village lost a Court of Appeal battle to stay there last week.
A police spokesman said officers from the Metropolitan Police Service were on standby at the square to prevent a breach of peace and to deal with any crime. "They are there in a supporting role to High Court enforcement officers who are currently carrying out an operation to evict those residing on the grassed area of the square."
One witness said: "The eviction is happening right now. There are about 60 bailiffs and lots of police here."
Last month, High Court judge Mr Justice Griffith Williams granted orders sought by Mayor of London Boris Johnson, but their enforcement was delayed pending an appeal to Master of the Rolls Lord Neuberger, Lady Justice Arden and Lord Justice Stanley Burnton.
Counsel Jan Luba QC argued that the mayor had no right to evict the demonstrators because he did not own the land, which belongs to the Queen, and had failed to prove any legal title to it.
Even if Mr Johnson could bring the proceedings, a court could not order possession because it would be incompatible with laws relating to rights to free speech and assembly, said counsel.
But the mayor's QC, Ashley Underwood, said Parliament Square Gardens was an open space which the public had a right to use and that the judge reached a reasoned decision.
He said there was a pressing social need not to permit an indefinite camped protest on the site for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others to access.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 05.07.2014 | Top

RE: Parliament Square peace camp.

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:58 pm

The protesters are right of course, how could I say any different having took part in so many in my younger days.

The trouble is today its a different world, if they couldn't move you on legally they changed the laws so that they could.

I'm afraid peaceful protesting gets you very little today, I think this may be the reason why there is so much violent direct action in this world today.

Also this little patch of green in front of the House of Commons has attracted many such camps over the years. If they had been allowed to continue there would be a little village there now.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm | Top

#3 by Sheldonboy , Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

There is of course a fine line between peaceful protest and Anarchy. There is also another fine between public safety/law keeping and what is perceived as Police brutality.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 pm

SB

And I'm sorry to say I have witnessed both, its basically the reason why the CND marches stopped in the 60's because the movement was being infiltrated by those with other agendas and the police were retaliating.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Peter Sutcliff

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor