Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: FIRE STATION UNDER THREAT

#16 by Deleted User , Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:43 am

Wonder how you go about getting a place listed,the value of the land should have nothing to do with it should it really ?

#17 by astoness , Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am

will try and find out later on if there is anymore news on the stations future...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#18 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:04 am

Denise

I believe the building is actually listed, I think if it were not it would have been gone by now. According to what my son says the reason why the Fire Service moved out was because upgrading costs would have been too costly because of the listing. So they just relinquished the lease early back to the University and moved out.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#19 by astoness , Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:55 pm

thank phil...will get back if i can find anything out...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#20 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:13 am

This building and its wonderful art deco features should be saved at all cost irrespective of use.
Why not turn it into high class yuppy apartments charge the earth for them, keep the original features, and turn the ballroom into a cinema or if feasable structure wise a swimming pool.

signman

#21 by astoness , Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:20 am

john..as i said if i remember correctly one plan discussed was to build student apartments and demolish everything except for the clock tower part.. i have asked questions and will also be emailing someone today for any further udates...looking at the pics i have posted really brings it home to me just what idiots we have in charge of our historical buldings..there should be no question of denying us the right to keep such a building...sorry to go on but it just beggers belief...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#22 by Voltman , Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:29 am

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#23 by Voltman , Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 am

From the Birmingham Mail, October 28th 2006 "The headquarters dates back to the 1930s and is classed as Grade A Locally Listed, which means it can be knocked down."

It doesn't appear on this Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_buildings_in_Birmingham

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#24 by astoness , Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:50 am

thanks volty..yes it was built early 30s i think...thats why its heaving with art deco that must be saved..

FIRE STATION UPDATE....

its was bought by a developer who has now run out of funds to do anything with it......i will now be contacting chris hargreaves who is the conservation town planning officer and see what he has to say on the matter..will keep you all informed...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#25 by Deleted User , Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:36 pm

I just do not understand why it is not listed ??

#26 by astoness , Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:14 pm

good evening denise..even if it was listed it could just be left there to rot until it falls down...if i remember correctly being listed does not save a building if no one will take it on..mind you i could be wrong on that as being listed and having a preservation order are i think two different things....what we really need is for something to be done with it and keep it in good order at the same time retaining the wonderful art deco...wish i could afford to buy it....

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#27 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Lyn this a great project than you have taken an interest in, trouble is I do know that the city has no money. There are many people after funding for a great many things but money is scarce, and that was before the announced government cuts.
I feel we are soon to see quite a few things that we may have to pay for or may be closed. The cuts we have had up to now I think are merely the tip of the iceberg.
The only answer to saving this building may be private money, and there isn't much of that sloshing about at the moment. SB

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#28 by astoness , Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:07 am

SB i guess as it already has been bought by a developer but they have no money to continue it will stay as it is for some time...like you say money is not flowing at the moment...such a shame the interior has to stay locked up when i am quite sure that folk would pay good money to actually go inside for a proper look....i know i would...will keep you all informed if i get anymore news...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#29 by astoness , Thu May 22, 2014 6:11 pm

update on the old fire station but for those of you who may wonder why this building needed to be saved go to post 1 and look at the wonderful art deco inside..

popped to see it today as work is well under way now and i wanted to find out what was happening to building..as suspected its going to be turned into student flats..they are in the middle of building a 7 floor block in the courtyard had a good chat with the site secretary and site manager who were very helpful and spent some time explaining things to me..good news is that..

the wonderful lift and staircase (which you can see in previous photos) will be retained..
the clock tower will be cleaned up and will be working again
the original gates to be retained..
the big red engine bay doors to be retained..
windows cleaned up and retained unless the damage is too great..
all the facade to be cleaned up...
tiles and flooring to be protected but will not be seen..
old fireplaces to be retained where possible..

so all in all and considering how our buildings are usually treated i think this is a good result..i have a few photos of work in progress will post them in a min...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 05.22.2014 | Top

#30 by astoness , Thu May 22, 2014 6:20 pm

few pics of the flats in the courtyard going up..

PROUD BRUMMIE

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 05.22.2014 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor