Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: SUMMER LANE PUBS..

#31 by Voltman , Sun May 20, 2012 12:40 pm

OK SB, what about some other town pubs with olde worlde character?
You and Astoness must both know of some.

You and I should use anendlessstreamofvowelsandconsonants to form the words we will use to effectively assemble a forceful tirade of
well constructed sentences which will aid and assist us in our tireless struggle to virtually eliminate verbosity
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#32 by Spit , Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks both for your advice, and yes I have visited the Bull. Great pub, amazed at all the jugs that were hanging up all over the shop! I walked past the Prince of Wales at the back of the NIA last week and they're either pulling it down or giving it a massive refurb. Trouble is out goes the character of the place. I usually do a few tours in the summer so I might dedicate this summer to researching the area, see what I can come up with.

Posted by Sheldonboy

Posted by Voltman
Hello Spit, welcome to your forum.

I only have one pub suggestion as I never go into town drinking, but I was dragged, kicking and screaming, into the Bull in Price Street last year. That is definitley a pub with history.

I know we have at least a couple of members who would be eager to compare notes with you on city centre pubs.
In the meantime please feel free to start your own thread and give us your own list of old pubs worth a visit.

Voltman

Volty, the day you have to be dragged into a pub kickin and screaming will be the first. As I remember it you had to be dragged out kickin and screaming. Yes Spit, The Bull Price Street is a great old put with loads of history, and welcome to the forum pal. Sheldonboy.

Spit  
Spit
Date registered 05.17.2012

#33 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 20, 2012 7:35 pm

A pub well worth a visit is THE WHITE SWAN BRADFORD STREET. The tiling is worthy of note, it's one of the top pubs in my opinion of the Irish quarter. Just down the road still in Bradford Street is THE ANCHOR it's just on the corner by the coach station. The Anchor has awards from Camra for it's range and quality of real ales.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 05.20.2012 | Top

#34 by Spit , Thu May 31, 2012 8:57 pm

White Swan and The Anchor added to my list.
Thanks Sheldonboy

Spit  
Spit
Date registered 05.17.2012

#35 by Noel Gibbons ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:03 pm

The Vine Pub Summer Lane.
I lived in the vine pub up to about 1962 0r 1963. My dad was the landlord. I remember a few people from there though I was only about 5. Alfie used to be one of the bare men, My dad was Frank who kept the pub and my mum was Florrie. Maybe you might remember them if you frequented the eastblishment before it was demolished. I might have some old photo,s somewhere, have to trawl the old boxes mum had.

Noel Gibbons

#36 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Noel, Welcome to you, our resident expert on the Summer Lane ( and most other ) pubs Lyn will probably be on later. I know she has photos of all the Summer Lane pubs. Don't let that stop you putting your photos up as we would all love to see them.

phil

#37 by astoness , Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #36
Hi Noel, Welcome to you, our resident expert on the Summer Lane ( and most other ) pubs Lyn will probably be on later. I know she has photos of all the Summer Lane pubs. Don't let that stop you putting your photos up as we would all love to see them.

hi noel and welcome...how great that your parents kept the vine in summer lane..the only pub with the offical address as summer lane as it was the only one that was not on a corner...yes phil ive posted all the 1960s pics of all the pubs on this thread so i hope noel has seen them...noel it would be fantastic if you could look through your moms boxes and post any photos that you have of the pub or indeed the area..would love to see them..the stag closed for a few months last year but ive recently heard that its now been taken over and a lot of money spent on it..i shall be going down there shortly to black me nose and see what it looks like..will get some piccies..

cheers

lyn..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 01.07.2013 | Top

#38 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:01 pm

Astoness went through the pubs on summer lane. Wasn't the summer Hill and the Stores on Summer Lane they were oppersite the roller rink or have i got the wrong road.

denniscarole
Last edited Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:48 am | Top

#39 by Sheldonboy , Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Sorry Den I didn't quite understand your post, maybe its because I am tired. Summer Lane is some way away from Summer Hill. Is/was the Stores a pub.?

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 08.01.2015 | Top

#40 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:10 pm

I wasn't sure if the road outside the roller rink was Summer Hill or Summer Lane

denniscarole
Last edited Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:46 am | Top

#41 by Sheldonboy , Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Quote: denniscarole wrote in post #40
I wasn't sure if the road outside the roller rink was Summer Hill or Summer Lane

Shard End boy

Ah right yes The road outside the Rink is Summer Hill Den, For Summer Lane go down Constitution Hill turn right into Summer Lane. Has a reputation for being a real tough area back in the day.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 12.12.2013 | Top

#42 by Voltman , Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Astoness's favourite lane I believe, she worked there man and boy.
Oh dear.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#43 by Sheldonboy , Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:10 am

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #43
Oh dear.

Oh Boy are you in trouble and its Friday 13th. The wicked Witch will go mad.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 12.13.2013 | Top

#44 by Slow Jo , Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Went in the salutation a few times ,use to say it was the hottest and coldest pub in brum half on snow hill half on summer lane.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#45 by astoness , Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #43
Oh dear.

volty you are only saying that because i cant get near you....[Hammers]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor