Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: From Birmingham City Council

#31 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 pm

I would have thought that sort of thing would be left to the butler maam.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#32 by Voltman , Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 am

Our wheelie bins are now in use.

They were delivered about six weeks ago and were due for first collection last Wednesday yet nothing happened until this morning.
What did happen made a mockery of our careful separation of rubbish and we will have to wait two weeks to see if it is normal practice.

It was a recycling collection so there were normal refuse bins and recycling bins with a paper and card basket suspended above the bottles and tins.
I watched as the paper baskets were emptied onto the bottles and in some cases bags from the normal bins were forced into the recycling bins.
The upshot being that all the rubbish went in mixed together into a single garbage truck and it still took them three times longer than usual.

Not a good start but further evidence that recycling is a waste of effort.

I did observe a garbage truck, with three men in it, sitting in our road for twenty minutes at a time on four separate occasions during the week.
I think they came for some green waste in bags that were put out by a single house. Why they had so many attempts at it is a mystery.

https://royalsociety.org
http://www.go-astronomy.com
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 12.01.2014 | Top

#33 by astoness , Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:35 pm

my feelings on wheelie bins will never change...back in the day the binmen really worked for their money...coming down the entry into the yard or back garden humping the bins on shoulders and ash bins on their heads...physically emptying them into the wagons and then bringing them back to where they belonged..today we are doing most of the job for them and i reckon we pay enough council tax not to have to be forced into doing this.....wheelies bins are just not practical in a lot of cases especially where we are expected to heave them up and down 6 steps or more in some cases to get them onto the pavements and if people do not have access to the back of the house ie an entry are we expected to drag them though the house or leave them outside the front window as a sort of new decoration.. binmen of today have it easy and from what i observe leave more rubbish lying around after collection...no wonder they dont get a christmas box anymore...i wouldnt give them a penny..our wheelies arrive sometime between next feb and may and i am not looking forward to it at all...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 12.01.2014 | Top

#34 by Slow Jo , Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Wheelies bins have been in telford for some time now,we have 3 of them each 1 for glass tins and plastic ,1 for garden rubbish and 1 for household stuff which is not on the recycleing list ,you just get use to them eventually ,don't mean you have to like them.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#35 by Voltman , Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:52 am

The best thing about them is their size, they hold way more than the old dustbins ever could.
The worst thing about them is their size, they are enormous and very heavy when full. Where are people supposed to keep them?

A side effect of the wheelie bin is that foxes are going to find it harder to scavenge for scraps.
I have started putting out anything they can eat to try and compensate. The problem now is that the cats and rats often get there first.
No doubt foxes will start to show themselves in daylight in their quest to get a dinner.

https://royalsociety.org
http://www.go-astronomy.com
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#36 by astoness , Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:26 pm

well put volty

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#37 by Sheldonboy , Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:47 pm

We have only put our wheelies out once so far and so far I like em. Having been out many times over many years at 6.30 in the morning carting freezing cold and soaking wet black bags up the path, these bins are almost civilised.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#38 by Slow Jo , Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:54 pm

We have recently been informed ,we may be getting a small one early next year,for food waste,that will be the 4th one.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#39 by astwood , Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:03 pm

We are getting our bins in the new year im dreading it
because there is a big slope up to our house

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#40 by Slow Jo , Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 pm

You'll have to rig up a winch to help you wind it up and down that slope, or get someone else to do it.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#41 by astwood , Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 pm

I prefer the black bags i get the heavy duty ones

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#42 by Slow Jo , Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Although we have wheelie bins ,we still use black bags,then put the bag in the bin ,it stops the bin getting messed up inside ,in the warm weather they can smell horrible ,I usually get the hose pipe in ours ,then turn it upside down to let it dry for a few hours ,keeps the smell away in the summer.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#43 by astoness , Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:45 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #42
Although we have wheelie bins ,we still use black bags,then put the bag in the bin ,it stops the bin getting messed up inside ,in the warm weather they can smell horrible ,I usually get the hose pipe in ours ,then turn it upside down to let it dry for a few hours ,keeps the smell away in the summer.

jo i thought that that was what we had to do..didnt think that tipping food in unless in a bag was allowed..

astwood i dont envy you with that slope..we have steps...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#44 by tca , Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:03 pm

i have had wheely bins for around 18 years i think, we used to have really big ones, but i think there was to much pressure on the tip, so they are smaller now, yellow for recycle, blue for green waste and plain for rubbish, seems to work well

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#45 by Sheldonboy , Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:27 pm

So then, not for the first time we are talking rubbish on Brummies Talking.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor