Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: blakesley hall

#16 by astoness , Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:25 am

oops..put the same one on twice...must be the heat lol...now this to me was the most fascinating room in the hall..during ww2 bomb blasts caused damage to the walls in this room and when the plaster was removed to repair it they uncovered the most wonderful painted walls dating back to when the hall was built in 1590....

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#17 by Voltman , Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:32 pm

When I was a kid and we moved to Yardley, age 5, I remember we used to go into Blakesley Hall through the front gate. The gate posts had a photo sensor in them which clicked every time someone passed through.
The front garden was just one thick blanket of Lavender.
Nice photo's Astoness, I really must go and take a look myself. I wasn't sure if they allowed photography.
Volty

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 06.27.2010 | Top

#18 by astoness , Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:49 pm

so the lavender has been there some time then volty...what exactly is a photo sensor...does it takes photos or is it used to count how many come through....or maybe its something entirely different....you take cameras inside but cant use flash...unlike the back to backs where no cameras are allowed inside the houses but ok in the courtyard..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#19 by Voltman , Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:31 pm

A photo sensor was a simple infra red device. A transmitter unit (Tx) projects a beam of infra red light across a space toward a receiver unit (Rx) and if the beam isn't received for any reason the receiver would actuate a relay, This may have switched a counter, or perhaps a sounder to alert the curator to the fact that someone had entered or departed through the front gate. The curators desk was just inside the front door, to the left a you go in.

Photo sensors now usually have a mirror to reflect the beam back and the Tx and Rx are in the same unit.
Some very advanced photo sensors really are cameras that can compare a preset image with a real time image and generate an alarm if the images don't match.
Volty

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#20 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:35 am

We used to dodge in and out of those posts to make that sensor click, some days they must have thought that they were really busy.
Blakesley Hall is a fine place to visit these days with excellent Tea Rooms and facilities. Yardley Village and its 900 year old church are also well worth a look just five minutes walk away. I bet most local people have never taken the tour. Did you know that the Parish of yardley was once owned by Catherine of Arragon. SB

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#21 by astoness , Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:41 am

thanks for explaining that for me volty....

SB dodging in and out the posts sounds like the sort of thing we would have done lol and yardley village is already on my list of places to visit...didnt know the parish was once owned by catherine of arragon though...thanks..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#22 by Deleted User , Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Was always in Blakesley Hall as a kid,must get back there for a vist.

RE: Blakesley Hall

#23 by Sheldonboy , Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:52 pm

It's a nice place now Den, well worth a visit.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
I would Agree with you but then we would both be wrong wouldn't we.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 09.24.2013 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor