Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

The Future Looks Bleak

#1 by Sheldonboy , Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 am

Funny how we keep hearing it's being beaten.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26014693

The only way is up
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 02.12.2014 | Top

RE: The future looks bleak

#2 by mikejee , Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Note that the report is from the "World Cancer Research Fund". That is a fund that is out to raise money for the cause of cancer research. We are surely saving a lot of people who , a few years ago would have died of cancer. But one of the reason the average age of death is going down is because of this. Cancer is a disease , the likelihood of which increases with age, so, as the average age of the population increases, then the likelihood of getting cancer will also increase. Unless there is some really enormous breakthrough in cancer-cures, then the % of people who die of cancer will increase, as the average age of the population increases. But people are living longer. It is just that cancer is more prevalent in older people.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#3 by Sheldonboy , Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:21 pm

I have to agree Mike all of what you say is true and makes sense. It makes you wonder what nature has in store for us next. There have always been plagues, disasters and diseases etc to control populations.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by The Mitz , Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:18 pm

It's already here, I'm sad to tell you.
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a year or so ago. At first we kept it to ourselves, but then started telling people, for the good of the cause. She told one of her old work colleagues, who then decided to go for a checkup as she hadn't been for quite a while. She had cancer, and luckily it was caught soon enough. Now nearly everyone we talk to knows someone who has had or has got cancer in one form or another.

www.jonjones.eu

The Mitz
Date registered 12.19.2013

#5 by Sheldonboy , Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Please give your wife all our very best wishes and hopes for the future. A very good friend of my wife and I had breast cancer diagnosed and has all but been given the all clear. I sincerely hope your wife has a similar outcome Jon.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by The Mitz , Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #5
Please give your wife all our very best wishes and hopes for the future. A very good friend of my wife and I had breast cancer diagnosed and has all but been given the all clear. I sincerely hope your wife has a similar outcome Jon.

She has thanks, after a year or so of treatment she has just been told she is in remission. They don't say "all clear" these days
She has to take a particular drug for 5 years

It is frightening though, the number of people that we come across that have had the same thing touch them in one way or another

www.jonjones.eu

The Mitz

#7 by Sheldonboy , Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:51 pm

That's great news Jon

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#8 by lynne webb , Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 pm

I had a melanoma, a mole that changed, they removed it very quick, leaving a big hole in my leg. I had to have check ups for 5 years and was discharged last October. It might not sound serious but thats what killed Bob Marley.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#9 by Slow Jo , Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:19 pm

1998 had a broncoscopy found tumor in the left lung,luckily it wasn't cancer ,removed it with drugs thank goodness ,Iwas one of the lucky ones.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#10 by Sheldonboy , Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Quote: lynne webb wrote in post #8
I had a melanoma, a mole that changed, they removed it very quick, leaving a big hole in my leg. I had to have check ups for 5 years and was discharged last October. It might not sound serious but thats what killed Bob Marley.

All those things are serious Lynne glad you had a successful outcome.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by lynne webb , Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks SB.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#12 by The Mitz , Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:58 am

Quote: lynne webb wrote in post #8

Yes, because he refused to have treatment for it, strangely ...

www.jonjones.eu

The Mitz

#13 by Cleopatra , Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:37 am

Lynne Webb, Slow Jo, The Mitz I hope you don't mind my posting on this thread, but I'm so pleased for all of you that you have had good outcomes. I know from personal experience what you must have gone through at the time.

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

#14 by Sheldonboy , Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 am

Cleo as a member of BT this is your forum. Feel free to use it as your own I am sure everyone will agree. This applies to all members, at all times on all threads.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by mikejee , Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 am

Cancer used to be something that was not talked about. I think things have changed somewhat. This probably is partially because the hospitals have become much more patient friendly. When I had my prostate fried some years ago I was pleasantly surprised at how patient-friendly the local hospital was I could not praise them any higher for the care and consideration they took. As you know , more recently I had the opportunity to view the hospital many times very recently visiting my mother. Certainly I don't think that anyone could ask for better care. This must encourage people to see that there problems are treated, and not be scared to report their worries.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Volcano in Indonesia

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor