Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: CHILDHOOD CHRISTMAS MEMORIES

#31 by Voltman , Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:24 pm

The best bit I remember was the magic grotto you had to pass though while queueing.
The boys presents were always chalk & board sets and bus conductor sets.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#32 by astoness , Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 am

volty ive heard from folk who can remember that the pressies from lewis.s were very good ones..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#33 by Sheldonboy , Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:09 am

I can't remember what the presents were but I know we was never dissapointed. Uncle Holly was a nice man. Mind you its probably illegal for santa to have kids sitting on his lap now, silly world.[Frowning]

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#34 by astoness , Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:20 am

tis a silly world now gra...with parents in attendance i see no reason why we should worry about kids sitting on santas lap...mind you its been a few years now since i took my lot to see santa so i cant really say if they have stopped that....blimey that used to be part of the christmas magic..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#35 by Sheldonboy , Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:25 am

Lyn if you took your kids to see santa You would be sitting on his lap.[Big Laugh]

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#36 by astoness , Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:38 am

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #35
Lyn if you took your kids to see santa You would be sitting on his lap.[Big Laugh]

ha ha very funny indeed..but you know me so well[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#37 by Slow Jo , Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:09 pm

What I never understood, mom always told us never talk to strangers, then told us to go and sit on his lap?

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

Last edited 12.05.2013 | Top

#38 by astoness , Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:12 pm

jo thats a very good point ..one i had not thought of...[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#39 by tca , Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Christmas for me was awesome, my parents died when I was 1 and 5 so i was sent to school in Oxford, it was school holidays when i came back to brum, my grandmother had a boarding house in gem street, mostly irishmen in the building trades, some went home to ireland others stayed, but i vividly remember the horse pulled milk carts over the cobbled gem street with the glass bottles rattling in their wire cages. all the cousins about 12 of us stayed in the house while the adults went to the pub after tea, i loved it , being with all my cousins. about 18 months ago we all (cousins and children) about 40 of us got together in a pub - out towards Worcester, it was if we turned the clock back to 1955, smashing time. christmas is one of the few times I really miss brum

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#40 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:10 pm

What a lovely story glad you enjoyed the reunion

Shard End boy.

denniscarole

#41 by astoness , Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Quote: tca wrote in post #39
Christmas for me was awesome, my parents died when I was 1 and 5 so i was sent to school in Oxford, it was school holidays when i came back to brum, my grandmother had a boarding house in gem street, mostly irishmen in the building trades, some went home to ireland others stayed, but i vividly remember the horse pulled milk carts over the cobbled gem street with the glass bottles rattling in their wire cages. all the cousins about 12 of us stayed in the house while the adults went to the pub after tea, i loved it , being with all my cousins. about 18 months ago we all (cousins and children) about 40 of us got together in a pub - out towards Worcester, it was if we turned the clock back to 1955, smashing time. christmas is one of the few times I really miss brum

nice to hear that you have happy memories of christmas in brum tca...so pleased you enjoyed that family reunion

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#42 by Sheldonboy , Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Quote: tca wrote in post #39

Brilliant pal you cant beat some time with the family at Christmas.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#43 by Slow Jo , Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:55 pm

When I was a kid we lived in the same street as dad's parents,every boxing day after dinner we went to their house, my great aunt alice and uncle ted came as will,they lived in franklin street winson green.Aunt alice was good on the piano, we all had a sing song.Adults got the drinks out,we had pop,if I was lucky granddad gave me a big slurp of his glass of port. Trouble was mom could always tell,how?.happy days.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#44 by astoness , Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #43
When I was a kid we lived in the same street as dad's parents,every boxing day after dinner we went to their house, my great aunt alice and uncle ted came as will,they lived in franklin street winson green.Aunt alice was good on the piano, we all had a sing song.Adults got the drinks out,we had pop,if I was lucky granddad gave me a big slurp of his glass of port. Trouble was mom could always tell,how?.happy days.

sounds just wonderful jo..our mom was never a big drinker but she loved a drop of peach or apricot wine at christmas..dad always made sure he got her a bottle..when i got to about 13 or 14 i was allowed just a small glass...happy days indeed..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 12.07.2013 | Top

#45 by Slow Jo , Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:46 pm

My mom had a small sherry twice sometimes but that was her limit self inflicted .dad always had a bottle of tarragona port that was it in our house ,but we always had a good family christmas,if only we could go back to being like that now.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor