Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Well worth a look.

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:00 pm

I know this is not a Birmingham link, but this is a site that I have looked in on from time to time over the last few years. If you have some spare time take a peek. It will make you laugh, make you mad, and may even make you weep.

http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Well worth a look.

#2 by Sheldonboy , Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Phil I've just had a quick look at this sight, It's brilliant. I'll definately come back to it when I get a chance.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:22 pm

SB

I especially like the section where he explains what to do about complaints about the site.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Sheldonboy , Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:45 pm

Phil I have just had a look at the section you mentioned. Without copying or stealing their work of art I suggest we have something similar.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 pm

SB

Then just add it to the All About Brummies Talking Thread.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 pm

This is another clip well worth a view if you haven't seen it for a while. What makes it more interesting is the fact that Telly Savalas never even saw Birmingham before doing the voice over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZ1xn2ml10

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#7 by Voltman , Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Now that's the Birmingham I remember from when I last went shopping there.
Amazing what a bit of sunshine can do.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 pm

VM

Strangely enough thats what it was like the last time I was there. I have yet to see the new Bull Ring. I have been in town to Gas St Basin, The ICC and the BMAG. But I have managed to keep clear of the Bull Ring. The closest I have got is I parked in a pick up bay outside Moor St Station to pick up one of my granddaughters.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:05 am

I think the new Bull Ring is brilliant, apart from the crowds,( I hate them).
Albeit full of multi-nationals who are the only people to be able to afford the rents.
I have often wondered why they don't build units at affordable rents for independant traders excluding anyone with more than 2 outlets.

signman

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:12 am

Anyone going for a look at the Bull Ring is well advised to go early. Arrive about 9.30am have a look around, the shops open at 10am. It starts to get really busy about 12. Then it's a madhouse until closing. Better still go in the week. All Brummies should take a look it's a place to be proud of.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:52 am

John

But thats the way life is now, the small independent trader gets no help whatsoever. We never got any help or concessions from anywhere in 40 years of trading. Not even when we employed over a dozen people. It's the big concerns that get all the help even when they don't need it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#12 by Sheldonboy , Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:09 am

No criticism intended, but I have just thought of something really funny.
Phil you show you concern for old buildings disappearing, and another part of our Heritage lost. I have read you thoughts on more than on Forum.When you made a lifetimes work in knocking them down.
Have you demolished any buildings that you wish you could have saved?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:40 pm

SB

You must pay more attention in class, I have said that most of our work on the demolition side was concerned with commercial premises and not many of the ones we worked on had much architectural merit. Although we did occasionally demolish houses it was not many and none that would be missed. Only one of them did I think to be a crime and that was a little cottage on Prince of Wales Lane Warstock. Its only crime was it had enough garden for about 4 houses.

I think over my working life we perhaps did more good than harm. Later when the actual demolition work became scarce we diversified into stripping out and gutting buildings for renovation there are a lot of houses still around today that wouldn't be around save for these schemes. We also worked on the Art School in town, Perrots Folly in Ladywood, and many of the old protected buildings in the City. So my conscience is clear.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#14 by Sheldonboy , Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Worth a try

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri May 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Came across this site when Iwas looking for something else http://www.grahamstevenson.me.uk/index.p...d=665&Itemid=11
Phil could be right up your street I think, this a photo from it, although not much about Saltley, it looks interesting, I'm saving a week to read it.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brum Questions

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor