Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OUR MEMORIES OF GROWING UP

#181 by Sheldonboy , Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Just for information only.....Old fashioned sweetie shops. There is one in the Touchwood centre Solihull and another in The Great Western Arcade Birmingham. Anyone know of anymore?.

The only way is up
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#182 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:06 pm

There is one in Tamworth if that's any good

Shard End boy

denniscarole

#183 by Sheldonboy , Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Of course

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#184 by mikejee , Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:07 pm

Just to keep things in perspective - just because a shop sells supposedly old-style sweets does not necessarily mean they are really like the old product . In particular fudges often contain hydrogenated fats and have little flavour . Just because a shop claims to be "like old days" does not mean it is anythingb other than a ripoff. Taste the product and then decide !!

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#185 by Sheldonboy , Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:56 am

Absolutely right Mike. But what is the alternative, curry flavoured crisps

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#186 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:07 pm

When I was about 13 growing up I got a paper round, always remember it. It was a little shop in School lane Shard End . In the morning we would get our papers and then buy a cigarette and a match. Don't think you could do that now but in them days it was great

Shard End boy

denniscarole

#187 by Slow Jo , Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Use to be a sweet shop top of villa road handsworth, the old lady that run it had very poor eye sight,so we got old halfpenny's let a few trams run over it ,then she thought it was a penny,so we doubled our money.LOL[Little LOL]

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#188 by The Mitz , Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #170
Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #169
While keeping out the way of decorating found my old stamp album,my mom got it me for my 9th birthday from a shop in hamstead road,went with her to choose it,To think its 65 years old,have stamps going back to 1948 olympics first games after the war,and festival of britain stamp,that was 1951 plus lots more.memories .

wonderful jo..i do love to hear about precious things that have been kept since childhood...alas i wish i knew then what i know now...i dont have a thing..mind you ive got all my happy memories..

lyn

Although I didnt collect them, I still have the cigarette card collection that my dad made when he was a kid. Its all packed in boxes at the moment pending our house move, but I hope to get them up and framed

Ive unfortunately got very little of what I collected, it all seemed to disappear after I had moved to Birmingham .... I think my parents had a clear out :-(

The Mitz
Date registered 12.19.2013

#189 by Voltman , Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Quote: denniscarole wrote in post #186
When I was about 13 growing up I got a paper round, always remember it. It was a little shop in School lane Shard End . In the morning we would get our papers and then buy a cigarette and a match. Don't think you could do that now but in them days it was great

Shard End boy

You could also get some in packs of five.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#190 by Voltman , Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #184
Just to keep things in perspective - just because a shop sells supposedly old-style sweets does not necessarily mean they are really like the old product . In particular fudges often contain hydrogenated fats and have little flavour . Just because a shop claims to be "like old days" does not mean it is anythingb other than a ripoff. Taste the product and then decide !!

Nothing stays the same, there is always an improved recipe that we didn't need.
The one thing I can still taste and smell that nothing else ever got close to was the Kunzle showboats, from the late lamented confectioner who we have discussed many times on this forum.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 12.24.2013 | Top

#191 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:24 am

The rag and bone man used to come up our grove and if you took out a few rags you got a balloon, but if you took out a load you got a goldfish. When you think of it everybody asked the horses name but nobody asked the rag and bone mans name. Wasn't life great in them days If only you could turn back the clock.

Shard End boy

denniscarole

#192 by astoness , Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:49 am

Quote: denniscarole wrote in post #191
The rag and bone man used to come up our grove and if you took out a few rags you got a balloon, but if you took out a load you got a goldfish. When you think of it everybody asked the horses name but nobody asked the rag and bone mans name. Wasn't life great in them days If only you could turn back the clock.

Shard End boy

i agree with you dennis...oh some things may have changed for the better but life is no less stressful now than it was back in the day.. ie...in those days the worry may have been can i afford 1 or 2 bags of coal this week now we have to think..can i afford to have the central heating on...no difference...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#193 by Sheldonboy , Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:23 am

I remember the Rag and Bone man it was the only horse and cart trader I ever knew.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#194 by Slow Jo , Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:41 am

Down our street not long after the war a man kept a pony and trap ,kept the pony in his old air raid shelter ,every sunday he would get the pony connected to the trap to go for a ride,keeping an eye open for us kids,we were hiding. In the week we would save a paper bag just as he set of we would run out blow the bag up and bang it,the pony would go down that road like a bat out of hell,with the old man screaming woaw woaw happy days.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#195 by astoness , Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:04 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #194
Down our street not long after the war a man kept a pony and trap ,kept the pony in his old air raid shelter ,every sunday he would get the pony connected to the trap to go for a ride,keeping an eye open for us kids,we were hiding. In the week we would save a paper bag just as he set of we would run out blow the bag up and bang it,the pony would go down that road like a bat out of hell,with the old man screaming woaw woaw happy days.

oh jo how naughty of you

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor