Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Lucas Factory

#1 by Geo109 , Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am currently developing, researching and writing a television factual-drama based on the Aston years of Ozzy Osbourne (1948-1968). I understand that he (and his mother) worked at the Lucas factory in Birmingham around 1966-68 as a car horn tuner/tester. I wondered if anyone on here worked / or had friends or relatives that worked at the Lucas factory, and could offer me any insight into exactly what the factory was like; what his job would have entailed; how many other people would have worked on the assembly line with him; what his workspace would have looked like; and what his typical working hours would have been.

George.

Geo109  
Geo109
Date registered 08.24.2013

Last edited 01.16.2014 | Top

RE: Lucas factory

#2 by astoness , Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:44 pm

hello george and welcome...you may have already come accross the joseph lucas web site but if not here is the link to it...plenty of photos and info on it that may help your research..must admit i did not know that ozzie and his mom worked there...do you know if it was the gt king st factory ??..my dad who sadly passed away recently worked there in the 50s in the factory and again in the early 70s as security officer..

lyn

http://www.lucasmemories.co.uk/site/

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 08.29.2013 | Top

#3 by Geo109 , Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi Lyn,

Yes Jackie the site moderator at Lucas memories has been superb. As far as I know, Ozzy's mum worked at great king street a lot of her working life and Ozzy's Dad worked nights over at the GEC factory. I think Ozzy only worked at Lucas briefly (I'm guessing around 1966) for maybe as little as six months before embarking on a career as a burglar! He later served six weeks in Winson Green Prison before forming Black Sabbath.

Sorry to hear about your father. Any information you remember him telling you about: stories, social functions or any known characters is always helpful and a great insight.

Many thanks.

Geo109  
Geo109
Date registered 08.24.2013

#4 by astoness , Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 pm

sorry george but dad did not really talk much about his work days at lucas so i cant help you with that one...i can only recall the lucas childrens christmas parties we used to go to...

best of luck

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 08.29.2013 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor