Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Signmans Pictures

#1 by Sheldonboy , Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Signman, I have just been having another squint at some of your most excellent pictures. This time the pubs of Brighton. One in particular interested me. The Colonnade. was this at one time called The hungry years, It looks very Familiar. SB

If only......................

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.28.2016 | Top

RE: SIGNMANS PICTURES

#2 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:39 am

Graham, No the Collonnade is next to the theatre Royal.
The Hungry Years is facing the Pier and is now a gay club called Charles Street, because it's on the corner of said street I suppose .

signman

#3 by Voltman , Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am

Did anyone notice the notes under signmans WAGGON AND HORSES ?
It's signmans own work.

I will either finish this sentence or

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#4 by Voltman , Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:54 am

Whilst we are on sign writing, surely everybody remembers this scene in Erdington.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=U...2,25.49,,0,5.69

It's a new version and not as convincing as the original in my view but still very clever.
It's Google Walk again, sorry but I'm hooked.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#5 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Voltman, that sign has been done about 4 times up until now, it was on a postcard which I have and will post, but even that is not the original, I've been signwriting for 57 years and remember it first being done.

signman

#6 by Voltman , Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:20 am

I remember seeing it when I was a kid and didn't even know where Erdington was, then over the years I must have driven past it hundreds of times but I don't think it ever registered that it had changed, although I always thought it was on a wall facing in the opposite direction until I Googled it yeterday.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:34 pm

John

The new photos today are absolutely fantastic. Once again I haven't got the words to describe how superb they are. More please, do you realise how much money you are saving me. When the wife says to me I want to see the south coast all I have to do is show her your photos.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:38 am

Hi Phil,
Glad you like them, I'll be doing a Friston forest walk on Sunday, weather permitting,thats the inland side of
the A259 other side of road from Cuckmere.
If weather plays up, I'll take a few photos of the inside of our pub for you.

signman

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 am

John

Strangely enough that is what most of my holiday snaps used to consist of. The insides of pubs.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 am | Top

RE: SIGN MANS PICTURES

#10 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Hey John

Was this one of your jobs, being as it was only just around the corner from your works. I remember standing there for about an hour one day watching the signwriter doing the lettering. I remember at the time i didn't like the choice of background colour it was a sickly lime green if my memory serves.

Just look at the prices 3/- for a 3 course Indian lunch and 2/9d for an English 3 course lunch. What's happened in the last 50 years.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#11 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:37 am

Phil, I wasn't married then so you couldn't have been tailing me for alimony, it was either me or my gaffer Oliver Burley, if he was young it was me, we did the barbers as well, the indian had another place in Lower Priory, just below Kings Hall Market.

signman

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 am

Who's choice was the sickly lime green background. Was it a job lot paint that you wanted rid of. Was it luminous?

Which one of these two was the other curry house in Lower Priory?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#13 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Phil,
His choice of colour, the other one was the Shalimar.

signman

#14 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Just to re-iterate Phil, I'll have you know we only used the finest paints from Leyland Paint and Varnish Co., Dale End.
I was always asking the gaffer if we needed any paint, my excuse to go there because I was madly in love with the girl behind the counter, bearing in mind I was only 16-17 and she was about 23-28, and then one day I saw her kissing the ugliest bloke there, that was it, I never queried if we needed any more paint, often wondered if ole man Burley ever thought why I suddenly stopped asking.

signman

#15 by Voltman , Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 pm

I didn't realise there was any of them about in them days, not pretty girls kissing ugly blokes - they ALL do that, but Curry Houses.
Was there many?

If I drank less I would have more money left over for buying wine.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Interesting Paradox

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor