Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Fox Hunt Cancelled

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm glad to see that the annual Boxing Day Hunt at Upton House by The Warwickshire Hunt was cancelled this year due to the bad weather. What a shame.

What is the National Trust doing allowing fox hunting on their land. Another reason I am glad I lapsed my family membership.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Fox Hunt Cancelled

#2 by Sheldonboy , Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:42 am

Phil
I was glad to see the Fox Hunt cancelled. I am a great traditionalist I do like the sight of the Red coated huntsman on their horses and the hounds all part of the countryside scene.
That's where it ends. If it was just a day out without the killing it would be fantastic. But it's not so it has to be stopped. But the rich and powerful need to do that. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:36 pm

SB

The trouble is they are never going to do that are they? They have been given other alternatives but no, they have got to have blood. It's all rubbish about controlling vermin who do they think they are kidding. There are much better ways.

As for putting the people that work in this poor excuse for a sport out of work, that a laugh to itself. Most of the people who take part in these hunts are the same people who have put millions out of work without a second thought.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Sheldonboy , Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:38 pm

Got to agree with all that Phil. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5 by mikejee , Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:44 pm

I couldn't agree more Phil, though it could be said that the vermin aren't the animal being hunted, but those who do the hunting
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Mike

Who was it who said "The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable"?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#7 by PJ , Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:22 am

Its one of them strange subjects that's bound to upset some-one.
We voice our disgust and distaste at the image of a fox running hot for his life, yet we are content to eat other creatures provided we're assured they have been killed with care.
Killed with care, is a huge subject and is full of quick reassuring phrases that mean nothing to the animals that walk or are pushed into the abattoir.
I'm a meat eater and cant beat the holier than thou drum.
I think anti fox hunting and the eating of animal flesh don't make good bed fellows.
There is the threads of a quote from the back of my mind " They strain of a knat, yet gulp down a camel".
I'm guilty as charged. I say let the fox run, who knows how he feels in that hot chase, it might be that he lives more in those moments than in the rest of his life.

PJ  
PJ
Date registered 12.27.2009

#8 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:02 am

We all know abou the food chain. Lucky for us Man is at the top of it. But if we did have a predator, our population would be far less and who knows the world may even have been a better place. Talking about predators though who knows what Space Exploration will encourage to our fine planet. Remember the TV programme V. SB

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 pm

I don't believe in hunting any animal just for sport, its finally why I stopped being an angler. I don't think there is a greater meat eater on this planet than me. I eat a minimum of one pound of red meat a day, if my wife will let me I will eat more.

I understand that we have to kill animals unless we all want to be vegetarians who might I add I have the greatest respect for. If I had not had to give up so much of late its possible that I might have joined their ranks. Still I may yet do so in the future.

The excuses put up by these hunters, are just laughable. They need culling, they are vermin, they are a nuisance, they attack our livestock. Do they not realise that we know there are more suitable means of culling or exterminating animals that theirs. I think the reason they say these things are because they just don't care what we think.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by PJ , Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Phil, SB, Mike,
Are these posts about about a needless death?.
Or is it the age old desire of the serf to level the score against the landed gentry?
PJ

PJ  
PJ
Date registered 12.27.2009

#11 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:19 pm

What we must remember, as meat eaters. Is that most animals are bred for food. If this were not the case and we had to compete with animals for food, we would kill them anyway. It would just be seen as another pest control exercise. Either way the animals would never win. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:45 pm

PJ

In my case I will admit its a bit of both, I have never been a fan of the landed gentry and I fear I would have behind the ill advised and even more ill fated march on London of Wat Tyler and his revolt against a more distant poll tax than the one we remember.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:47 pm | Top

#13 by mikejee , Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 pm

I think my motivation for my views is that of pointlessness. Phil's point about giving up fishing would fit in with that. I think, and always thought, that there's nothing wrong with fishing to get fish to eat, but that it is crazy to catch fish which might be inedible, and , whether or not you can eat them, throw them back , probably damaged and injured, possibly dying, just so that you can say you caught it. Foxhunting is a bit like that, but in its original form (which is the way favoured by its most loudmouthed supporters), is much more cruel. It is a successor to dog or cockfighting, and most people today would be against these "sports". The only reason that foxhunting has survived until now is that it is supported by a large proportion of those earlier described as the landed gentry
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#14 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 am

I totally agree with Mike and Phil. This is just barbaric blood letting. Not forgetting a huntsman has to be bloodied. He has the blood of the fox wiped on his face. Also this is turned into a great social occasion, all meeting at the local pub for a drink first. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by Deleted User , Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:24 am

Sp glad to see the decline of the hunt.

Just a load of hoo ray Henrys.

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Bus Death

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor