Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Absolute Garbage

#1 by Sheldonboy , Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-21804765
According to the BBC News today. Birmingham is about to get it's first new park in 130 years. This is rubbish. I well remember Kents Moat Park Yardley opening around 1960 ish. Before this the site was just a rough field. The new park was opened by Alderman Frank Price and had Tennis courts, A play area with swings etc it was all grassed over and had three or four football pitches. I know I have a grey beard but believe it or not I am not over 130 years of age.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.16.2013 | Top

RE: Absolute Garbage

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Not that I would defend Birmingham Council I think what they must mean by first new park for a 130 years, is new park on a brownfield site as opposed to a recreation site or greenfield site. I'm sure there have been quite a few new parks within Birmingham over the last 130 years.

phil

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #2
Not that I would defend Birmingham Council I think what they must mean by first new park for a 130 years, is new park on a brownfield site as opposed to a recreation site or greenfield site. I'm sure there have been quite a few new parks within Birmingham over the last 130 years.

Kents Moat Park was a brand new park, it was just a rough field before. Not flat enough even for a kids game of football, not footpaths no nothing.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by mikejee , Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Surely the relevent part of the council's statement is " Green spaces have opened in the city since then but none have been designated parks, they added".
Its a bit as if someone had said at some time (not necessarily involving Birmingham) something like " Councillors have been involved in dubious activities previously, but they have never before been prosecuted". Words can mean whatever you like if you define what they are going to mean beforehand

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:48 pm

SB

Kents Moat was a green area though, it's never been built on since medieval times has it? Except for some blocks of flats around the fringes and they have gone now haven't they? The area they are talking about it's only a few years since the area of the new park was full of back to back houses. It's worth a mention that a short distance away there were several parks built on new demolished areas.

The one in the photo was first laid out in the 60's and more or less covered the area of the bottom of the road where I lived, I remember it when it was just homes. So what is that if it's not a new park. You will find loads of these little parks all over Nechells, as you say the council talking a load of absolute garbage,

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:56 pm

SB

I just thought I'd better add that the park in the photo bears no relation to the park that was first laid out, it was over a much bigger area and the swings etc were in a different area and part of it was tar-mac as an all weather playing field.

phil

#7 by Sheldonboy , Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #5
SB

Kents Moat was a green area though, it's never been built on since medieval times has it? Except for some blocks of flats around the fringes and they have gone now haven't they? The area they are talking about it's only a few years since the area of the new park was full of back to back houses. It's worth a mention that a short distance away there were several parks built on new demolished areas.

The one in the photo was first laid out in the 60's and more or less covered the area of the bottom of the road where I lived, I remember it when it was just homes. So what is that if it's not a new park. You will find loads of these little parks all over Nechells, as you say the council talking a load of absolute garbage,

Phil don't mix up Kents Moat (medieval area) with Kents Moat park, bordered by The Meadway, Blakenhale Road, Outmore Road and Sheldon Heath Road

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 03.18.2013 | Top

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:20 pm

No I'm not, Kents Moat Rec is at the back of the Poolway, I've walked across it many times. I was even one of the few that even used the pedestrian bridge over the Meadway in the days when I used the Meadway pub.

phil

#9 by Sheldonboy , Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #8
No I'm not, Kents Moat Rec is at the back of the Poolway, I've walked across it many times. I was even one of the few that even used the pedestrian bridge over the Meadway in the days when I used the Meadway pub.

Anyway I know that wasnt a park until around 1960, even if you count the original field the estate wasnt built until after the war. So the new park in the town cannot be the first new park in 130 years. Can it.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Bunch of mongerels

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:21 pm

What kind of morals do they teach these days.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21812849

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:27 pm

I don't think that your area was even in Birmingham 130 years ago, in fact it's quite a recent addition isn't it? So therefore it wouldn't count. What I'm saying is that if it was already a green area then Birmingham City Council isn't counting it. Lets face it The City Acquired the Lickey Hill less than 130 years ago.

phil
Last edited Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:22 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Black Death Discovery

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor