Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Blakesley Hall Miniature Railway.

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 am

When I first saw the attached photo, I thought whats going on here? A miniature railway at Blakesley Hall when was that. I thought according to that photo there must have been a railway spur and bridge close by. Now I know the nearest railway line is about a mile away and the nearest bridge is quite some distance and that is over water.

So after a little research the explanation is quite simple, there is another Blakesley Hall in Northamptonshire, how dare they pinch our halls name I'm sure ours is older than theirs. I suppose I could have just asked Lynne I'm sure she would have known all about it as she is in to miniature railways.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

RE: Blakesley Hall Miniature Railway.

#2 by Stirling Single , Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Phil, Nice photo, - you are amazing how you come up with all sorts of pictures of things and places etc.
A wealth of information.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Lynne

I had never heard of another Blakesley Hall save our our one in Yardley. Apparently there was a Manor House at the Northampton Site since the 13th century so it was earlier than ours dated at 1590. Though from what I read when it was owned by a Charles William Bartholemew a civil engineer 1876 -1919 he built a 15inch gauge miniature railway

phil

#4 by mikejee , Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Yes and it was apparently a proper railway with a purpose, not just a toy, used to carry coal & supplies up to the house from the railway station. Track was lifted 1940

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 am

I was reading that the rolling stock had been preserved by the Miniature Railway MuseumTrust, but I can't find anything about it or the trust after 2011 when their exhibition at Cleethorpes closed. Lynne do you know anything.

phil

#6 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:16 pm

I've sent this link to a friend who follows the history of many of these places. He's going to look things up for you when he gets home to-night.
A friend of ours owns one of the internal combustion engined locos It is with some other very good friends right now being cleaned etc.
Shall post to-night when James comes back to me.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#7 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Phil, I don't think this is exactly what you are asking for but will post as this is the summary that James has sent to me.
Will enquire furthur for you about the rolling stock and the Miniature Railway Museum Trust as from 2011
Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Lynne,

Thanks so much, it's all very interesting.

phil

#9 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Phil, Do you have the link for were you read about the Miniature Railway Museum Trust and the preservation of the rolling stock.
I would be interested to see the report.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#10 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:16 pm

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Steam Railway Engine

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor