Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Hello To All From Me

#1 by Marion , Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Forgive me for not going through all the threads in this Welcome section - if i say hello to one, then i should do to all, and I don't have enough time
Thanks for the invite here - it looks like a very nice forum (and I do love the smilies too )

born at Heathfield Road hospital with 6 months of the 50's still to go - the Call The Midwife prog. on TV at the moment really gets to me with the stories and the background songs. - maybe I remember them days subconsciously.
I know when I was a teen in the early 70's I really liked 50's music, so even though I may be slightly younger than a few here I think I may have plenty in common with some.

Lived in Aston, (49 Parliament St. where mom had been born in 1930 and her mom and dad lived before her), until about 2 weeks off 10, then moved to Perry Common as they cleared the Aston slums.

From about 18 lived in a number of different parts of B'ham, (including Handsworth Wood and Erdington and Acocks Green), and then settled in Balsall Heath in '86 where I met and married my husband in '88.
We moved to Perry Common early last year to be nearer to my mom, who is now 82 and living in Erdington. Our 23 year old son lives with us, but I regret that my daughter and granddaughter still live near to where we used to live. Not having a car makes that difficult (as my health is not good and I can't travel).
Anyway - enough about me for now.
I look forward to getting to know some of you, and even, maybe, meeting some old friends on here.

Marion
Date registered 02.20.2013

Last edited 02.21.2013 | Top

RE: Hello To All From Me

#2 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi Marion, thanks for joining us, you are very welcome on here I look forward to your contribution and hope you get loads out of it too. SB

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 02.21.2013 | Top

#3 by astoness , Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:53 pm

hello marion and a warm welcome to our little forum...straight away i noticed that you were a heathfield road hospital baby..ive been trying for about three years now to find a photo of that...also you lived in parliament st which was not far from where i was born in paddington st just off summer lane...just wondering if you have any pics of parliament st as they are so hard to find..i have a friend who lived there the same time as you but more likely that your mom would know them so could you ask her if she remembers the houghton family...[Big Smile]

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Hello again Marion

Glad to see you on here, you'll find that we might not be the busiest forum on the web, but we are the best.

phil

#5 by Marion , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm

sorry, I just realised this section is not just for welcome posts, but there is one particular thread for welcome posts.
Please would you feel free to transfer my post to that thread, (which I have just read through and realised it it current).
Or I can copy my original post and paste it on the end, and then this thread can be deleted.
(It's been a long day lol)

Marion

#6 by lynne webb , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Hello Marion, I was born in Hospital Street and then moved to Kingstanding, I'm now in Great Barr. My husband was born in Perry Common Road and lived there till we married in 1966. Nice to have someone from an area I know.
Lynne.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#7 by Marion , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:23 pm

sorry Phil - tried to edit my 2nd post on this thread and can't..

as there have been some kind replies if it's ok to leave this thread then please do, if that makes it easier - as I feel I need to reply to some now. (Sorry to be such a pain - already!!

Marion

#8 by Marion , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #2
Hi Marion, thanks for joining us, you are very welcome on here I look forward to your contribution and hope you get loads out of it too. SB

thanks SB

Marion

#9 by astoness , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 pm

marion stay where you are and dont panic[Little LOL] look forward to your replies

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#10 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Quote: Marion wrote in post #7
sorry Phil - tried to edit my 2nd post on this thread and can't..

as there have been some kind replies if it's ok to leave this thread then please do, if that makes it easier - as I feel I need to reply to some now. (Sorry to be such a pain - already!!

Marion the best place to chat to people is the open all hours thread. its a bit like leaning on a wall with a cup of tea, most of our lot are well used to that.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#11 by Marion , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome Lyn/astoness

Quote: astoness wrote in post #3
straight away i noticed that you were a heathfield road hospital baby..ive been trying for about three years now to find a photo of that

I, too, would love to see a photo of it :(
The nearest I have come is some pics of Heathfield Road (from the 50's, I think) on some other forum, or web site (but can't remember where now) - it's such a shame with it being demolished -as I used to say, if ever I became famous they won't be able to put a plaque on my birthplace [Sun Flower]

Zitat
...also you lived in parliament st which was not far from where i was born in paddington st just off summer lane...just wondering if you have any pics of parliament st as they are so hard to find..i have a friend who lived there the same time as you but more likely that your mom would know them so could you ask her if she remembers the houghton family..

Yes, I think you may be referring to John (?), who I have met on another forum (where I am mazbeth), and he has posted photos of P. St..
I posted one old one of Parliament St. that I think my dad must have took and he was kind enough to edit it to better quality.
As I get time I'll have a look to see if it's on here and, if not, I will post it.

Marion

#12 by Marion , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Quote: lynne webb wrote in post #6
Hello Marion, I was born in Hospital Street and then moved to Kingstanding, I'm now in Great Barr. My husband was born in Perry Common Road and lived there till we married in 1966. Nice to have someone from an area I know.
Lynne.

Hi Lynne
nice to 'meet' you
I know Kingstanding and Great Barr a little bit - I'm very glad to be back in Perry Common.

Marion

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor