Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Games we used to play

#1 by mollymandysb , Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Do not know if this has been done before but here goes, does any one remember the games we used to play, usually in the playground such as

The farmers in his den
The big ship sails on the alley alley o (what was the alley alley o) i remember the tune to this games, but did we all line up with one person's arm outstretched on a wall and then we seemed to go under the arm. can't remember any more.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 02.15.2013 | Top

RE: games we used to play

#2 by tca , Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 am

i can remember
british bulldog, conkers

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Besides the usual games of football & cricket played on the bomb site adjacent to Lapworth grove off Vincent Street, these games I never liked. We would occasionally play tracking when nobody had a ball to play with. This consisted of two teams, one team would be given a count of 100 start and then the other had to find them, One game could last all day and could range all over Balsall Heath.

phil

#4 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:37 pm

When we in junior school, during the summer holdays there was a thing called play centre. It was supervised and held in our junior school playground. We had all sorts of games and were run really well.
Hopscotch
The farmers in his den.
Whats the time Mr Wolf
British Bulldog
I wrote a letter to my love and on the way I dropped it.

Most of these I had help with from my wife as I know they were Girls games.
Most of the time we played Baseball

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Tell the truth, if you were anything like me you were playing doctors & nurses.

phil

#6 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 am

Quote: phil wrote in post #5
Tell the truth, if you were anything like me you were playing doctors & nurses.

No Phil but thanks for the info.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by tca , Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 pm

phil
doctors and nurses wasnt a game

it was a training programme

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#8 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:31 am

Another game name I remember was Polly on the mopstick, not sure what it was about.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by mollymandysb , Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:01 pm

glad some one remembered farmers in the den, probably were girls games i know we played them in the infants and ju.
juniors. no one remember the good ship sails, will have to ask my welsh relies if they remember it as we did play it in wales.

as for doctors and nursers most of us are now playing 'carers' to our other halves

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#10 by Deleted User , Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Quote: tca wrote in post #7
phil

SO true LOL

#11 by Deleted User , Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #4
When we in junior school, during the summer holdays there was a thing called play centre. It was supervised and held in our junior school playground. We had all sorts of games and were run really well.
Hopscotch
The farmers in his den.
Whats the time Mr Wolf
British Bulldog
I wrote a letter to my love and on the way I dropped it.

Most of these I had help with from my wife as I know they were Girls games.
Most of the time we played Baseball

Remember all of those.
Used to love Hopscotch amd Marlies......playing for the Gobbie.
Skipping.......trying to remember the verses we sung.Any help on this one?

#12 by Sheldonboy , Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Quote: denise wrote in post #10
Quote: tca wrote in post #7
phil

SO true LOL

Leave me out I went to an all boys school

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 02.02.2013 | Top

#13 by astoness , Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:09 am

good thread is this...well remember playing marlies and skipping..hotscotch..rounders .playing noughts and crosses on the back gate using chalk..knock door run (tut tut) climbing trees.playing in old air raid shelters..helping our dad make go carts out of a plank of wood and a four old pram wheels..swinging from one bar to the other in the entries...tracking was great fun especially on the dark nights and even better in thick fog..3 ball juggling..oh and handstands...a quick tuck in of our dresses in our knickers handstand up the wall and then come down the wall with backed arched..blimey i couldnt even get up the wall now never mind come down it again......happy days..[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 02.02.2013 | Top

#14 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 am

Quote: astoness wrote in post #13
good thread is this...well remember playing marlies and skipping..hotscotch..rounders .playing noughts and crosses on the back gate using chalk..knock door run (tut tut) climbing trees.playing in old air raid shelters..helping our dad make go carts out of a plank of wood and a four old pram wheels..swinging from one bar to the other in the entries...tracking was great fun especially on the dark nights and even better in thick fog..3 ball juggling..oh and handstands...a quick tuck in of our dresses in our knickers handstand up the wall and then come down the wall with backed arched..blimey i couldnt even get up the wall now never mind come down it again......happy days..[Big Smile]

Imagine you climbing trees Lyn

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by mollymandysb , Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Oh yes I remember throwing our legs up the wall and coming down with our backs arched, makes me ache thinking of

where i lived in wales we never had holes were bombs had been dropped so there were no bomb sites, although we did have the mountains with the hundreds of old mining shafts, lol if our mothers knew we were going down them well, we also had a lot of caves which we used to explore, with a piece of string and a piece of chalk we would go in. so dangerous as on one occasion i came to the end and stopped and there was a massive drop. i think it is a national park now called nant y ffrith. we had a river running through the village and the children would jump across the river holding a piece of rope, well i never made it and went straight into the barbed wire, i still have the scar on my cheek today. it was a lovely place to grow up in the feb we had a meadow which was just filled with primroses and then we had the woods with daffodils and then bluebells. some lovely walks. mother hated living there as she could not speak welsh and of course the locals would only talk in welsh if you did not come from the village. however, i have since found out that my grand dad owned some of the houses in the street that we lived (I knew he owned the one we lived in) but he was not a good landlord and put up the rents to get the tenants out so we could move in, no wonder the villagers did not like us. although i must say i never had any problems with anyone, was either thick skinned or could speak a bit of the lingo.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

Last edited 02.15.2013 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Being A Child Was It Hard In Brum Did You Get Into Trouble?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor