Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OUR MEMORIES OF GROWING UP

#16 by Voltman , Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 am

And when there were no crab apples I left tied string between the ends of the stick and pulled it into a curve, cut some shorter pointed sticks and had a bow and arrows.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#17 by Slow Jo , Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:24 pm

School holidays spent in handsworth park on our bikes ,no cycling allowed after 9 00 am,we thought it didnt apply to us till the parkie saw us but we could out run him.Another time i bought 5 woodbines for old threepence.my dad caught me smoking in the coal house, took me in the house made me smoke the lot one after the other, it was years before i smoked again.Happy days though

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#18 by Sheldonboy , Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 pm

My sister caught her son with 20 fags under his pillow when he was around 15. She made him smoke the lot one after the other to teach him a lesson.
She found out a couple of weeks later they didn't belong to him, he was hiding them for his mate. He smoked forever after that day.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#19 by mikejee , Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:32 pm

I have told people this before, but probably not on this forum. When I was a small boy, my mother smoked, and like boys will, I kept saying "can I try it". I don't remember it very clearly, but gather that she gave me one and made me smoke all of it. I went bright green, so to speak and never ever wanted to smoke again

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#20 by astoness , Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:15 am

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #13
Something I have done many times in the 1960s was train spotting on Snow Hill station. Although Saturdays was reasonably quiet it was such a great place. The blue pullman used to come in from the Wolverhampton end. The express trains came in pulled by the sleek western diesels.
Then we would buy a fruit pie in a box, they were really nice. The steam engines were of course still running and we were allowed on the footplate by some drivers. I even had bacon sarnies cooked on the shovel. As a kid times like that should last forever.

smashing memories SB..fancy having bacon sarnies cooked on the footplates...fantastic

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#21 by astoness , Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:17 am

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #14
Whilst you can't eat crabapples, they do make excellent missiles.
I used to cut a long stick from a tree and trim it to a point at the thin end. Then stick a crab apple on the point and wang the apple as far as possible.
They went way further than I could throw one and as I had a cricket field to play in there was no worry about lack of space.

volty....you would have fitted in our gang nicely

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#22 by astoness , Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:00 am

just thinking back to the old days and how dad used to make an extra bob or two for the family kitty...always a grafter but with 6 mouths to feed any extra came in handy.. very often me and our kid would go along with him collecting all the copper wire from the bomb pecks..bring it home and burn off the outer casing in the back garden...let it cool off and take the copper to the scrap yard and dad always gave us some money for helping..when things were really tight and we hadnt not got money for the gas meter which was under the front room cellar he would fold a piece of card to just the right size..stick in in the slot and pull the lever and hey ho we had gas..also if the coal ran out dad would give our kid a bunk up over the coal yard wall and he would pass coal over to dad to put in a sack..dare say we were not the only ones to do things like this but needs must when the devil drives...[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#23 by Sheldonboy , Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:16 am

Very rescourceful your dad Lyn did he take you out in a pram on the fifth of November.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 09.07.2013 | Top

#24 by astoness , Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 am

no SB i took dad out..sat him outside the vine pub in our street with a pint..[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#25 by Slow Jo , Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 pm

When I was 14 I got a part time job at Wrensons grocers, on a delivery bike .It didn't last long after I hit a lorry in Villa road , it wasn't my fault the brakes were rubbish.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

Last edited 09.08.2013 | Top

#26 by astoness , Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:23 am

oh dear jo i hope you didnt hurt yourself too much....

where abouts did you live??

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#27 by Pam Keeling , Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 am

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #13
Something I have done many times in the 1960s was train spotting on Snow Hill station. Although Saturdays was reasonably quiet it was such a great place. The blue pullman used to come in from the Wolverhampton end. The express trains came in pulled by the sleek western diesels.
Then we would buy a fruit pie in a box, they were really nice. The steam engines were of course still running and we were allowed on the footplate by some drivers. I even had bacon sarnies cooked on the shovel. As a kid times like that should last forever.

smashing memories SB..fancy having bacon sarnies cooked on the footplates...fantastic

My cousin started work in the old signal box on the end of aston station. We used to go up there with the signal man and watch ghe trains coming through. Couldnt do it today though.

Pam Keeling
Date registered 04.13.2013

#28 by Pam Keeling , Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:02 am

Does anyone have memories of the onion fair in aston. We went every year. First stop my aunts house in lovers walk a cuppa then off to the fair. I recall a man had a sort of horse race game. He stood in the middle of the track and turn a hane to make the track spin round like a roulette wheel. When it got up to speed everyone who had bought a ball with a number on it threw them in. The winner was the one whos ball went through a hole on the track 1st. . Health and safety wouldnt allow it today lol

Pam Keeling
Date registered 04.13.2013

#29 by astoness , Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:54 pm

what smashing memories pam...i have a couple of pics somewhere of the onion fair..will try and find them and post for you...in the meantime here are 3 of lovers walk hope they bring back memories for you...im hoping against hope that your aunt maybe the lady in one of the pics..if not maybe her house is there..dont forget pam click on the pics and they will enlarge...mind you you probably know this lol

lyn

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 09.08.2013 | Top

#30 by astoness , Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:15 pm

just found another one pam..

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor